HELP! Busted U Joint/CV?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Hey Guys, I hate posting one of those 'NEED HELP QUICK' threads, but we're in a bind here.

My friend took out his 95 Grand Cherokee to get it muddy and it looks like he busted its equivalent of a front U Joint. I figured it had a Dana 30 like any XJ or TJ/YJ but it seems to have a cv joint of some sort coming through the spindle and going to the hub b/c there is a boot and no visible u joint (like a D44)

Basically, i can reach inside the split boot and move the axle shaft. There were large ball bearings and a bearing race loose and it feels like he busted whatever holds the axle inside the axle shaft. We're going to take it to a shop tomorrow morning, and obviously we'll have to pull the wheel/hub/rotor/spindle assembly.

We talked to a wrecker going by and they said we need an entire new axle which sounds rediculous. Seems like he can just replace the joint and maybe the axle shaft, but to replace the whole axle just sounds wrong. Anyway, WE NEED HELP! ANY OPINIONS/SUGGESTIONS? I know its a Jeep but y'all seem pretty familiar with their front axles.

THANKS!

-Brett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like just the outer shaft bearing went out. It is the bearing holding the axle shaft centered in the tube.

How could you move the axle shaft? Could you move it up and down and side to side, or could you spin it?

I was able to move the axle shaft in and out (laterally) of the axle tube. I was thinking it was the bearing too, the ball bearings that came out are about the size of a 'minie ball' or musket ball. 1/2" in diameter.

And if it is this bearing (explaining why the race and balls were coming out) can just this be replaced or does the whole friggin' axle shaft assembly need to be replaced?

Thanks for the quick response Robb, hopefully this won't cost my friend tooo much $$$

I'm thinking its number 21. The website does list the grand cherokees as having CV's and U joints. This one is a Limited with AWD so i guess that I why we were looking at a CV joint. Whatever is busted is inside the CV boot, so i'm guessing he's gotta get a new CV.

AxleModel30ZJ.gif

Here's the link

Oops, missed the part about the ball bearings being large.:confused:

I think you are on the right track. If it is using a boot like that, and big ball bearings were loose, they are using a bearing-type CV joint in place of the U-Joint.

Your best bet at this point is to replace the axle shaft (part 21). I doubt the joint was worn out or anything. Sounds like something grenaded in there. Have you priced a new shaft? It shouldn't be too bad, halfshafts with two CVs are usually only $75-$100.

BTW: weird that your friend's '95 GC has that type of joint. My wife's '96 GCL uses ol' fashioned U-joints. She has part 25.

Originally posted by Robb
BTW: weird that your friend's '95 GC has that type of joint. My wife's '96 GCL uses ol' fashioned U-joints. She has part 25.

Yeah, we only saw WJ's on our way over to his place and they all have the CV's. I bet your wife's jeep has a dedicated 2 hi/4hi/4 low t-case wherein this one only has Auto/N/Low

Pricing CV joints/half shafts...

For the ease of it, because you guys are at school, I would go with the halfshaft. It will make the fix A LOT easier.

Looks like $90-$100 at AutoZone, depending on anti-lock brakes or not.

Originally posted by Robb
For the ease of it, because you guys are at school, I would go with the halfshaft. It will make the fix A LOT easier.

Replacing a 1/2 shaft can be done here at school? I figured we would have to have a shop do it

Come On!! Did you really think that you could post this on EF and get away with taking it to a shop?:)

Because of the popularity of the Jeep and the fact that your problem lies in the 4x4 drivetrain, the procedure for axle shaft replacement has got to be on the internet somewhere. The ZJ does use the typical LP D30, the one you got just uses a CV instead of a U-Joint. The procedure for pulling just about any Jeep LP D30 shaft should work.

Do you guys have any tools up there? I would assume (yes, I know what happens) that it could be done with basic tools + a spindle nut socket, but not exactly sure.

3/8" drive rachet.. deep well, metric, standard, box wrenches standard, metric, other misc. hand tools (rubber hammer, screw drivers, nut drivers... etc)

we would need-

-pickle fork
-spindle nut socket
-pry bar of somesort
-2 jaw puller to get hub off of the driveaxle
-jack/jack stands (DUH! ~ but i could borrow those from a friend)

I would conquer this no problem at home, being at school kinda makes things crappy

Any tools I might be missing? I'm looking at the Haynes manual for my truck figuring in some regards, a CV is a CV

Let me see if I can find the procedure (might have to wait until after dinner). I never got to the point of tearing down my D30, so I don't know the specifics. If it is anything like the D44, it can be done with basic tools with no need for a pickle fork, puller, or prybar. I tore down the outers and removed the shafts out of a D44 with the tools in my tool bag that I carry for work + a hub tool.

Procedure 1)
-Safely place the vehicle on jackstands.
-Remove both front tires. (only the one side for you)
-Remove the brake caliper retaining bolts (2), and safely set the caliper aside.
-Remove the speed nuts from the brake disc, and remove the disc. (rotor)
-Remove the axle retaining bolts (3) from the steering knuckle.
-Slide the axle shaft out of the tube, and safely set aside.

Procedure 2)
The first step to sliding the axles out would be to disconnect the brake calipers. You don't need to disconnect any brake lines, just unbolt the calipers from the rotors. Just a quick warning - be very careful to not cross-thread the caliper bolts when putting them back in later (what a pain in the butt that was)!

Hang the calipers out of the way using a wire or bungee cords. Once that is done, the rotors should be able to slide off easily. Put them down on the floor.
axlebolts_arrows-280w.jpg

On the back of the spindle, there are three bolts around the axle u-joint. You can see two of them in the picture above and to the left. The third is obscured on the other side of the axle shaft. These three bolts attached the sealed wheel bearing assembly to the spindle. The axle is secured to the wheel bearing assembly, so when the bolts are removed, you can slide the whole assembly out in one piece.

Procedure 3)
This guy lists the tools needed as:
-Jack stands
-13 mm 12 point socket 3/8” drive (It’s very important that this socket is 12 point. You can substitute a 1/2" 12 point.)
-19mm socket 3/8” Drive
-36mm 6 point 1/2" Drive
-Breaker Bar or Air Powered Impact Wrench
-Needle Nose Pliers
-Lug Wrench
-Foot Pound Torque Wrench
-Jack
-Wire Tie or 12” piece of wire
-New cotter pins 2" x 3/16"

The only odd tools there are the 36mm socket for the spindle nut and a torque wrench. For the record, the torque wrench is needed......off the record, yada yada.

I was correct that there are loads of sites about D30 axle shaft removal. I got these procedures quickly with a Google search for "dana 30 axle shaft removal". Removing the axles, or at least moving them, is needed for locker installs...........and there are LOTS of Jeep locker install guides on the net.

IMO, you guys should try to do this. A shop is going to charge probably $150 for the shaft and at least 2 hours of labor. For the little cost of the extra tools you will need, this is a project you should easily be able to do. When I did it on the D44 for the first time, I probably had about 1 hour in removing the first axle shaft, and that was with all the crap in the locking hubs that you don't have to worry about.

Wow, thanks alot Robb.. i was searching for grand cherokee CV half shaft removal and got nothin'

I personally feel that I could do it, but the final determination will be dependant on what he (and his dad) says since its his dad's Jeep (he's been borrowing while his dad is out of the country). Basically, his dad takes it to the dealer to have the spark plugs changed, so he will probably want my friend to pay for a shop to do it.

Back