Help, buying body lift for 99 4dr have questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help, buying body lift for 99 4dr have questions

bigtigexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
Ok, I’ve been mulling over this for a while, although my ultimate goal will be a 4” suspension lift, I’ve decided a 2” body lift will be sufficient for now, until funds become available for the suspension lift.

I’ve used the search feature, and have found a lot of useful information. However I now suffer from information overload and I’m unsure of a few things. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Questions:
1. I’ve got a 99 4dr 4x4; I would like to install a 2” PA body lift. Is kit #792 the correct kit to purchase for my vehicle? If yes, I’ve found this kit online for $85 plus S&H, is this a good deal?

2. I’ve read about having to buy some new bolts for use during the install. Can somebody explain the size/type of bolts to buy and how/where they will be used? Also please list other stuff I should purchase before hand, that I will need to install this lift such as thread-lock, etc...

3. I would like to move the front and rear bumpers up with the lift. Can somebody explain how I will need to modify the brackets included with the kit in order to accomplish this?

4. Explain any issues I will face with the steering and use of the included steering extension?

5. Are there any special tools and/or equipment I will need to install this lift?

6. ANYTHING, you feel I should be aware of before, during, or after the installation of this lift

Thanks again for all your help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, first off you will not be able to use the bumper brackets with this kit, nor most of the bolts. I did the 2" a while back and it was a PITA due to lack of parts. You will pretty much have to buy all new bolts (except for 2). You will not need a steering extention for the 2" kit. And for the front bumper iu used the 3" 98+ ranger bumper brackets.

I gave my 2" kit to SplashMan he has the bolts and could possibly measure them for you. The (stock) bolt all the way in the rear of the truck (in the cargo area) you can take that bolt and get 4 more the same length, take thoes 6 bolts and thoes will be your new bolts for the 6 middle mounts (in front and behind the drivers and pass seats and the forward most cargo bolts) the new very rear bolts and core bolts (very front) will be in the kit.

I drilled new holes in my frame 2" higher to mount the rear bumper and i used the 2" radiator brackets to drop the fan shroud 2"

If you have a SOHC you will need to check your AC hoses prior to starting up the truck

It would probably be less of a PITA if youjsut went and got the 883 3" BL cause everything you need is in there

What kind of issues will I have with the 3" body lift?

The 3" kit will have the steering extention you need, all the bolts (except for 2), all the body mounts(with 4 extra) the proper front bumper mounts (you'll still need to fab a rear bumper bracket) the only thing is your going 1" higher.

You'll have to watch your t-case wires a lil closer as well as your fuel/brake lines.

Here is a write up for a 3" BL on a newer X. These directions will work perfect for your '99

http://mudmarine.tripod.com/

but in the end a 3" is less headache, take it form me, i did the 2" (twice) and the 3", so has splashman, in the end i think the 3" is easier and less of a pain gathering parts

The only thing i dislike about the BodyLifts is that your shackles (if running warriors) stick out like 2 miles, man that iirks me.

I'm scramblin' my brains on what to do to rid myself of the warriors, i'm probably going to end up getting the 4" leafs and removing a leaf or 2, jsut to get rid of the warriors

I read that the ranger steering extension was not a good fit for the explorer, that it would have to be modified for it to work. Even then that it was only a temporary fix, and I would end up having to spend big $$$ on a Flaming River steering shaft to prevent binding.

The only person that i have remember ever having a problem with theirs is SinJin, everyone else here is using the ranger one, i am, splash is, Jefe i believe is, GJarrett i believe is. Ask everyone

i did the 3" #883 kit
i'm using the ranger steering extension.
i didn't need any new bolts.. i followed the direction on that page yomie posted by the book and all came out well. the hardest part is dropping the radiator.
make sure you move the ac hose after the lift. it will be against the serpentine belt and will get cut if you don't.

the only problem i had:
i broke my tranny shift cable because i didn't unclip it from its clip. other's didn't have that problem. guess mine just happened to be lucky one.

i agree with yomie about the shackles. i've thought about springing (no pun intended) for some OME 2" springs, but they aren't cheap.

I am running the 3" on mine. I have a 99 4 door as well.
The kit was fairly easy to put on. It did take some time, but nothing you can't do. The steering exstension was very easy to put in and so far has worked great with no problems. Only hint I can give you is make sure you use a propane torch to heat the bolts before trying to take them out. this will loosen the threadlock and make them much easier to get out. Besides that...use the site Yomie linked.

I ordered the 3" kit yesterday, should have it in hand later today. I'm planning to do the install tommorrow.

What did you guys do for relocating the rear bumper?

Should moving the front bumper be a trouble free?

front = trouble free

rear = not trouble free. a lot of folks cut frame, weld on, drill holes and all kinds of stuff.
i luckily have metal shop at work so i just made new brackets. took like 15 minutes with all the tools in hand.

i would suggest you take the stock brackets to a fab shop and ask them to either 1). add length to them and put new holes or 2). make a new bracket.

i essentially took the old bracket and added on to it and punched new holes 3" lower. it is as strong as the original. and required no modification to the frame at all.

I have some questions for you, after you get down with the installing the kit, and well some for right now too..

(before questions)
1. What size tires are you planning on running witht he lift?
2. How do you plan on lifting the body off the frame?

(after questions)
1. How long did it take?
2. Run into any problems?
3. Are you happy with it?
4. How tall do you think your explorer is now, do you think you could still fit in a 7 foot tall garage?

Thanks
Chris

i don't know if these are directed to BigTig or not, but

1. i have 33x12.5's
2. I used a floor jack on a 8x4 with 4x4's between the body and jack. (i had a lift the last 2 times)

1. it took me about 6 hours alone the first time
2. Rear Bumper
3. about 80%
4. Without my roof rack i could barely fit into a 7 foot garage, with my roofrack, haven't tried

Roof Rack = Con-Ferr, not stock

I dont think I will even lift my rear bumper, cause I have a hidden hitch, and exhaust that right next to the bumper, and I dont feel like having my hidden hitch that I payed more money for, and my custom exhaust looking all goofy hanging out in the open, I might just take some dimond plate steel and put it between the bumper and the frame, like in the back below the hatch area? (you know where?)

Yeah, I know what you mean, but then your trim on the rear behind the tires will be off, from the side view

Section i hope you don't mind!

heres the misalignment
Dead Link Removed

I'm $#%&^*@ pisssed off:fire: , I was told that I would have the kit yesterday, but of course my luck prevails once again and it didn't show up. So now I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to do the install.

Thanks for all the help, I keep you guys updated as things progress.

The lift arrived Monday evening, the @sshole UPS guy just left it at the front door, didn't ring the door bell or bother to knock:mad:.

I'm going to a base ball game on Saturday. So a buddie and I will be doing the install on Sunday.

I also found another set of instructions for this lift. Besides being directed towards the Ranger what do you guys think: Instructions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say to just use the link Yomie posted earlier. I used it and it was very clear and easy to follow. especially with the pics.

Back