Help can I convert my SOHC from a auto to manual? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help can I convert my SOHC from a auto to manual?

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
I was searching around the web and thought I would check out fords site. I noticed that Ford is now offering a 5 speed manual for the SOHC engines on the sports. I have a '99 SOHC sport, and would die for a manual. Do you think this would be a direct bolt on for my truck? Obviously I would need to do some custom work for the shifter and stuff. Would it be a easy conversion? Is it the same engine as my 99? Do you guys think it is worth it. I miss having a manual so much. I had a 95 sport witht he manual, and it would be great to have one in a sport with my more powerful engine. If anyone can help at all I would appreciate it. I would seriously do this if it was possible. I was in the process of choosing a lot of appearance mods because I have some extra cash coming to me. If this is possible I would do it in a second. Please if anyone has any info to help me let me know.
jason

yea i was also interested in trying this, but im afraid i dont know if its possible....it would be great if it were possible...anyone know?

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I am seriously interested in having someone do this but know nothing about transmissions. All I know is it seems to be the same engine, so I thought maybe it would be possible.

Just beware that there are many electrical/computer issues to deal with if you switch from automatic to manual. Since the automatic transmission is controlled by the ECU, removing it would probably give you a whole truckload of error codes!

Back