Help, Can turn car on but not off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help, Can turn car on but not off

adam.holbrook

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
So last night after getting home I tried to turn my car off but the key just spun backwards with no resistance at all. I had to remove the neg terminal and the fuse for the ignition. After that I hooked it all back up and I was able to start the car but still unable to turn it off. I'm able to remove the key with no issues. First I was thinking that it was the Ignition lock cylinder so I replaced it with one from O'Reilly's and it is still doing the same thing. The old part was not broken in any way that I could see. My Explorer does not have any type of anti-theft so that is not an issue. Outside of the lock cylinder what else could this be? I can still start the car but its a hassle to stop the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In this picture you can see the ignition switch actuator. It is a nylon actuator in the long oval hole which has to be slid back and forth by a pin which is set in motion from the cam in the ignition lock. The ignition switch is removed, leaving this to look at.

003_zps59ea07fe.jpg

This is a picture of the ignition switch, in place over the actuator.

005_zpsa2cb6a23.jpg

If you verify the actuator is moving far enough then the switch itself could be bad. I wonder if you could manually slide the ignition switch to get the car to start and then turn off? If it does work, then the switch is probably ok and the problem s a mechanical bind in the actuator-ignition lock.

I had to replace the lock also, here is a thread which may help you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379194&highlight=ignition+lock+cylinder

Just to make sure, I need to remove the plastic housing around the steering column to view this? I have it half way apart to see what I was doing when replacing the lock cylinder.

Just to make sure, I need to remove the plastic housing around the steering column to view this? I have it half way apart to see what I was doing when replacing the lock cylinder.

Yes, those are viewed from underneath the column with the trim removed.

Thank you for the pictures. I'll have to do this tomorrow since it's already dark and I only get about an hour of sunlight after work to do this. I'll be on here again tomorrow with what I find out. Thank you again.

Ok I'm impulsive and striped my panels off and this is what I'm looking at. When I turn the key, I don't see any movement. Am I missing something?

20131203_191325_zps44133609.jpg
20131203_191435_zpsda9bcdd5.jpg

ah give me 2 shakes of a lambs tail and i'll post the pictures with the box removed

Ok so the green bar (assuming this is the actuator) is free moving and I have no resistance on it at all.

20131203_195045_zpsff50a937.jpg

The box has distinctive clicks. it doesn't appear to be broken.

20131203_195054_zps76109c0e.jpg

OK, now, the lock cylinder should just pop out easily. Check to see if the end of it is broken off. There is a slot it fits into. Make sure it is not stripped out.

Did you try moving the switch around to see if the engine will crank, and turn off when it returns back?

assuming that the lock cylinder is the cylinder that you insert the key into, that is brand new and just installed prior to the original post. No I haven't attempted to start the car with the switch alone. Is the actuator supposed to be free moving?

assuming that the lock cylinder is the cylinder that you insert the key into, that is brand new and just installed prior to the original post. No I haven't attempted to start the car with the switch alone. Is the actuator supposed to be free moving?

no, the key should move it --there should also be a return spring inside, I think-

Ok I am now 100% sure that it is something broken with the actuator. I am able to turn on and off the car from the ignition switch. Do you happen to have directions on how to get into the steering column and to replace the actuator?

Turdle, you should be getting payed! :D This is very interesting!

Back