Help! Can't get the spindle off the knuckle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Can't get the spindle off the knuckle.

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I am attempting to do my own balljoints (92 4x4) and can't get the spindle off the knuckle. Seems like the spindle and spindle seat are both fused to the knuckle. Even heavy "tapping" couldn't break it loose. If I could get the whole knuckle off the truck I'd just go buy a new one and spindle, but can't get the nut off the lower balljoint because theres not enough room to get a wrench in there. Anyone have any ideas.

There are two ways to remove a stuck spindle. The easiest way is to use an air hammer with a chisel and attempt to seporate the two by chiseling them apart. The other way is to use a BFH (rubber faced if you plan to reuse the spindle) and beat the spindle bcak and fourth until it comes loose. Use lots of WD-40 and some proper words and eventually it will come loose.

Been trying to do ball joints on my BII, and can't get the spindle off either. I'm thinking I need a bigger hammer. Any further tips on removing the spindle? Also, how much comes off with the "spindle." I can see what looks like all of the spindle, and around it is a thin steel "shield" (sticks out about as far as the studs) that I can't tell if it comes off with the spindle or is a part of the steering knuckle.
On a somewhat related topic, I hear that the camber bushing can be rusted in, too. I read somewhere that a tie rod puller or similar will remove it. Any tips on removing the camber bushing, if it's as badly rusted in.
And another thing. Would anti-seize or something like it between the spindle and the knuckle keep it from rusting up like this?
Thanks for any help.

Back