HELP!! Car trouble and I am heading back to school at 6am tomorrow... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Car trouble and I am heading back to school at 6am tomorrow...

purdue1014

Reaction score
Hi All,

Any car gurus here?

On a '96 Ford Explorer, would you guys have any idea why the trunk would not be locking? I.e., you go to lock the car, and then go to open the trunk, and it opens right up, even after locking the car...It appears that it may be something to do with the latches on either side of the trunk, but I am not sure.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess that there could be some rust inside on the mechanism. You should manually be able to lock it.

I would guess that there could be some rust inside on the mechanism. You should manually be able to lock it.

How so? We pushed on the 'black stick' down, but still no results...We also but first WD40, and then went and bought de-ice solution, with no results....I did get a car wash today, (in 15* weather) but I am not so sure anymore that it is frozen because both the WD40 and the de-ice didn't work....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

B

are you locking the truck with the keyless remote? if so I believe it doesn't lock the hatch on the first "click" iirc you have to click twice to lock hatch as well

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help...After talking with a buddy, I am almost certain that
No, that key thing is not involved. The solenoid is a tubular electromagnet with a piston in it that is connected to the locking linkage. When you push the lock button, the solenoid is energized and pushes/pulls the piston and linkage which locks and unlocks the locking mechanism. If the key is turning a half turn side to side with no resistance, then it means the linkage has fallen apart. Pull the panel off the inside of the back hatch and peel back the plastic.

is the problem....

Do you guys know, is this something I could fix, (to my non mx eye) or best a mechanic do it?

Thanks!

B

just pull the plastic off the inside of the hatch and look for a linkage that came loose

yea not hard just dont break any plastic =p

before you go tearing into the rear hatch, confirm the lock actuator is working. Put your ear up to the door, inside or out side around the middle area and have someone, or yourself, lock and unlock the doors over and over, you can hear and fee itl if its working.

Back