Help Clearing Moonroof Drain Lines on '16 Explorer With Dead Motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Clearing Moonroof Drain Lines on '16 Explorer With Dead Motor

Swifty Morgan

Reaction score
City, State
City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I have a 2016 Explorer Limited. During the last month or two, I've seen drops of water falling from the overhead console twice. I contacted a glass company, and they told me I probably had plugged drain lines.

Problem: I can't access the drain lines to clear them. My slide motor works, but the motor that works the glass is not functioning.

The car has water in the floor of the front passenger seat and nowhere else.

I tried to move the headliner so I could look for a way to drive the glass manually, but it's not easy. The liner is loose all the way to the back seat, but I can't get to the motors without bending it.

I decided to try to check the fuse. What a job! I finally found the fuse box. I don't know if I can actually touch the fuses without joining a Chinese acrobat team, but I'm going to try again later. I can't believe Ford would manufacture something this crazy.

Is there a way to move the glass back (or clear the drain lines) without a working motor?

I subscribed to Mitchell's help site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More info: the shade motor works. Does that mean the fuse for the glass motor is good? Same fuse?

I had the exact same issue, but I opted to replace the moonroof motor. Once the headliner is down, it is easy to get to. I think motors can be had for around $80. It will likely be the 2 front moonroof drains that are clogged. Once my sunroof was opened, I poured water in the holes, then shot some air from my air compressor in the holes and blew out the clog. They have been draining fine since and no more leaks.

Thanks for the reply. A moonroof is an unbelievably stupid and counterproductive feature on a car, because it provides more headaches than a convertible roof with none of the fun. Worse than a T-top. I was hoping I could fix the leaks and leave the motor alone, since I will never open the roof. I wish I could have gotten a plain old hardtop. I guess I'm stuck buying a new motor.

How hard is it to get the new motor in? Is it just a couple of screws, or do I have to do a bunch of adjustments and so on?

Thanks for the reply. A moonroof is an unbelievably stupid and counterproductive feature on a car, because it provides more headaches than a convertible roof with none of the fun. Worse than a T-top. I was hoping I could fix the leaks and leave the motor alone, since I will never open the roof. I wish I could have gotten a plain old hardtop. I guess I'm stuck buying a new motor.

How hard is it to get the new motor in? Is it just a couple of screws, or do I have to do a bunch of adjustments and so on?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I know some members have replaced that motor(s) themselves but I haven't found their posts although there are several threads on the issue. There are 2 fuses listed in your Manual for the moonroof. There is a 10A fuse #23 that I'm guessing is for the moonroof shade and also other items like the power windows and there is a 30A fuse #27 that I believe would be for the glass partition motor. Both are unfortunately located in the cabin fuse panel. Have you checked #27?
I guess this feature is a personal preference. I would never get a vehicle without one. They open up the interior so much more and I have not had any issues with the 6 that I have had over the past 17 years. Good luck. Please keep us updated.

Peter

I really hate moonroofs. I've had real convertibles, so maybe it's different for me. A real convertible is wonderful; well worth the maintenance issues. A convertible is a prime rib eye; a moonroof is a tofu burger on a gluten-free bun with Hellmann's Lite. It looks like Explorers are very prone to leaks, and leaks are extremely destructive and insidious. Disappointing.

As far as I can tell, fuse #27 controls both the shade and the glass. Other people on the web say the same fuse that runs the shade runs the motor. I really hope that's the case, because I do not think I will ever be able to change it. I can get myself into a position where I can see the fuse box, but identifying individual fuses and changing them would be extremely difficult. Changing the motor will probably be easier.

I considered blowing the crud out of the drain from below, but getting to the lower end of the drain line is a nightmare, unless I read the diagrams wrong.

I lost one of the screws that hold a sun visor in place, and I can't find replacements anywhere. I'm surprised that Ford doesn't make them widely available. I'm going to have to substitute something else.

I found this on closing the moonroof manually. "To close the moonroof manually, you will have to remove the windshield pillar trim panels, the B pillar trim panels (B pillar is the pillar immediately aft of the front doors), remove the sun visors, remove overhead console if equipped and lower the headliner to access the motor and use a 7mm hex wrench to manually turn the motor to close the moonroof"

You should be able to do this to open the moonroof as well.

It says "B" pillar aft of front doors, but you can just remove the trim by the windshield pillars, sun visors, grab handle, and drop it far enough to gain access.

Replacing the motor is pretty straightforward, just disconnect and unscrew and replace if you choose to go that route

Thanks for the help on moving the moonroof. The new motor may arrive today, but if it doesn't, I will see if I can find the relevant hex fitting so I can open the roof. We just started having rain, and I can't take the car anywhere until I get the leak fixed, so I am ready to go on this.

I got the motor installed, and I cleared the two front drain lines. Or so I thought. After weeks with no trouble, today it rained hard, and water came in again.

I opened the moonroof and blasted the two front lines. Then I went to the rear, opened the hatch, and blasted what I think were the rear lines. I found water under all 4 corners of the car afterward. Hope it works. I also hope the new motor doesn't rust up with the roof open.

How am I supposed to access the front of the rear drain lines? They appear to start under the rear glass, which appears to be glued in place.

Only the right side drain exits through the back. I have never looked for mine so I'm no help in as how to get the rear ones. Perhaps you have to open the headliner in that area. Hopefully, others that have cleared them will chime in.

Peter

14 Explorer Drain Tubes.jpg

Is it possible to have an access hole in the headliner for access for the 7MM hex key?
Be carful with the compressed air. If you use too much pressure you can split the line and you will have a leak in the middle of it, somewhere you can't see.
All the problems with the drains clogging can be avoided if you open the glass and clean the dirt out when you wash your vehicle. This way it doesn't make its way into the drains and clog them. Just remember when you clean your door jambs, clean the moonroof channel also.
I will say this is not an explorer only problem.I have done this on many other makes and models. Any vehicle that has drain line from the moonroof channel is subject to this.

Thanks for the info. This will be my last vehicle with a door in the roof and probably my last Ford.

Thanks for the info. This will be my last vehicle with a door in the roof and probably my last Ford.

Many enjoy the moonroof. To say it is an "unbelievably stupid feature" is ridiculous. The panoramic moonroof is a fantastic feature. Even without using it, it brightens up the interior greatly and makes if feel bigger than what it is.

12 years and 320,000 miles across 3 vehicles and I've never had an issue with a moonroof. As stated, one should clean out the drains periodically to ensure they do not get clogged from debris but we are talking a once a year task if that. I'll be honest and say I've never cleaned mine. I did check my drains on my truck last week and it was as clean as can be.

My brother in laws Navigator just started getting a water leak inside when it rains. First thing I said to him over the phone was check your moonroof drains. Sure enough, his passenger side front drain was clogged. He didn't even know he had drains and he has owned it for 12 years. First and only issue with his moonroof.

Now I'll admit, I would have gone the convertible route of the Explorer....oh wait...

I have to stand by what I said. A convertible provides a wonderful sensation of freedom and openness. A moonroof provides 10% of that, it creates a maintenance and repair issue, and it is highly likely to damage the interior of your car. My interior smells like a rotten shoe now.

When I drove convertibles, I took the tops down all the time because it enhanced the pleasure of driving. The only time I open my moonroof is to do unpleasant work in an effort to fix the car. If the moonroof provided any pleasure, I would be using it, but I don't get much of a thrill from an additional small open window which is in my peripheral vision. It has been all pain and zero benefit.

The Internet is full of miserable moonroof owners. The fact that one person got lucky doesn't make a moonroof a smart option.

As for Fords, the trunk of my dad's first Town Car filled with water. His second Town Car caught on fire. His Explorer required a new transmission, and the transfer case and heater failed. I bought a Thunderbird, which was a fun car, but it was designed so the COP ignition units filled with water and failed, it was impossible to replace the stereo because the whole car depended on it, the fuel injection was programmed to provide half a second of stalling every time you hit the gas, and they sold it with a crazy transmission that could only handle a very limited amount of power, making engine upgrades impractical. I feel like Ford is telling me something, and that something is, "Buy a Honda." With no moonroof!

My last 6 vehicles all had a moonroof and never had an issue. I realize that item is a personal choice, but I wouldn't consider a vehicle without one. The fact that the Internet is full of owners with moon roof problems is not surprising since the much greater number of owners without issues aren't likely to post that they don't have a problem. As blwnsmoke mentioned, leaving the shade open brightens the entire interior, especially if it is all black/ebony. BTW, convertible tops have their own issues and maintenance requirements.

Peter

I've had crappy luck with my own Ford vehicles, so the most recent purchase was a Toyota. That decision was made easier by the Customer Relationship Center putting in an email that they were done talking to me about my Explorer. (Thanks again, Ford, for completely stabbing me in the back on that one, but I digress! :D)

That said, many of my prior own Ford and family vehicles have had moonroofs. Only the Explorer had a minor, but annoying enough issue--the pano roof rattled, and I could never get the dealer to fix it. I eventually got the service manual and fixed it myself for good. Was fortunate that it never leaked. For all I know, it was on the way--I kept hearing gurgling, but it probably just needed to be cleaned out. Never got to the point before I traded the beast off. That said, I'm also in the camp that the pano-roofs don't serve much value, but, I'm in the minority on that. I'd rather have a single standard pane myself.

That said, it's all preference. Many of these units have been absolutely fine for the moonroof feature. Whichever way you go, I do hope you have better luck on the next ride--because I feel for you, if also recognizing that many others have had far better luck than myself.

I've had crappy luck with my own Ford vehicles, so the most recent purchase was a Toyota. That decision was made easier by the Customer Relationship Center putting in an email that they were done talking to me about my Explorer. (Thanks again, Ford, for completely stabbing me in the back on that one, but I digress! :D)

That said, many of my prior own Ford and family vehicles have had moonroofs. Only the Explorer had a minor, but annoying enough issue--the pano roof rattled, and I could never get the dealer to fix it. I eventually got the service manual and fixed it myself for good. Was fortunate that it never leaked. For all I know, it was on the way--I kept hearing gurgling, but it probably just needed to be cleaned out. Never got to the point before I traded the beast off. That said, I'm also in the camp that the pano-roofs don't serve much value, but, I'm in the minority on that. I'd rather have a single standard pane myself.

That said, it's all preference. Many of these units have been absolutely fine for the moonroof feature. Whichever way you go, I do hope you have better luck on the next ride--because I feel for you, if also recognizing that many others have had far better luck than myself.

Sometimes you just get a bad apple. They sell these explorer's in hundreds of thousands, there are bound to be dozens with sunroof issue, PTU, Coolant leaks. It's a small % from hundreds of thousands of Explorers on the road. Other brands have many issues too. Ford in general has been a decent company.

lol, I got one of those letters on our 11. When we had ongoing EPAS issues and they were blaming it on the tires.. stating that even though they pass inspection, Ford is no longer going to attempt to troubleshoot or repair because the tires were "questionable at best" and could be putting strain on the EPAS. Had the dealership move the front to rear and rear to front... if it was the tires, then we shouldn't see another failure and sure enough, the next day.. it failed again.

Filed a BBB complaint because CS refused to escalate this to a regional CS manager. I wanted Ford to agree that if I put new tires on ($700) and I still had a failure, then they would reimburse me for the tires. Could not get anyone to speak to me. Got a letter from Ford's legal asst. stating that my vehicle was out of warranty (it wasn't), it was over 8 years old (doesn't matter, I still have a Ford ESP) and that this is their one and only response and that they will not do anything for my EPAS failures. I replied to the BBB with a coy of my ESP and a screen shot of OASIS showing that my vehicle is still under ESP and that Ford has every obligation to fix my vehicle. I never heard back after that.. I'm guessing the $10,000+ in ESP claims probably put a sour taste in their mouth and unless I went to court over it, they were not going to deal with me any longer on this vehicle.

I was willing to pay for new tires (If Ford would reimburse me if that wasn't the problem) as it needed it anyways but didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to since we were going to sell it. Funny thing is that after that last failure, we put on about 7,000 miles without another failure and then we sold it.

This was the one and only time I have ever had Ford turn their back on something

Sometimes you just get a bad apple. They sell these explorer's in hundreds of thousands, there are bound to be dozens with sunroof issue, PTU, Coolant leaks. It's a small % from hundreds of thousands of Explorers on the road. Other brands have many issues too. Ford in general has been a decent company.

"Decent" in comparison to the rest. Whether it's Ford, Toyota, GM, whomever... they all have their "behaviors." The Toyota works for me, for now, but I'll abandon them too in a heartbeat if I need. As they would abandon me as a customer.

PTU is a bit more of an elevated issue than I think your post lets on, but otherwise I agree with your premise.

lol, I got one of those letters on our 11. When we had ongoing EPAS issues and they were blaming it on the tires.. stating that even though they pass inspection, Ford is no longer going to attempt to troubleshoot or repair because the tires were "questionable at best" and could be putting strain on the EPAS. Had the dealership move the front to rear and rear to front... if it was the tires, then we shouldn't see another failure and sure enough, the next day.. it failed again.

Filed a BBB complaint because CS refused to escalate this to a regional CS manager. I wanted Ford to agree that if I put new tires on ($700) and I still had a failure, then they would reimburse me for the tires. Could not get anyone to speak to me. Got a letter from Ford's legal asst. stating that my vehicle was out of warranty (it wasn't), it was over 8 years old (doesn't matter, I still have a Ford ESP) and that this is their one and only response and that they will not do anything for my EPAS failures. I replied to the BBB with a coy of my ESP and a screen shot of OASIS showing that my vehicle is still under ESP and that Ford has every obligation to fix my vehicle. I never heard back after that.. I'm guessing the $10,000+ in ESP claims probably put a sour taste in their mouth and unless I went to court over it, they were not going to deal with me any longer on this vehicle.

I was willing to pay for new tires (If Ford would reimburse me if that wasn't the problem) as it needed it anyways but didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to since we were going to sell it. Funny thing is that after that last failure, we put on about 7,000 miles without another failure and then we sold it.

This was the one and only time I have ever had Ford turn their back on something

Look at you going all Doug DeMuro. :D

But jokes aside, that's the game. Make it just worth enough not heading to litigation. And/or arbitration, because you get conned into that, too. But again, they're all like that; FMC is not unique.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm replying a bit late to this but I am in the category of never wanting a sunrooof again. I had used my sunroof maybe 50 times over 5 years and then a small plastic clip that holds the shade snapped and the shade flew to the back and will not stay over the sunroof if I try to pul it back to the front. It is a tiny clip but I was quoted $2k for parts plus labour as they would have to replace the whole track...WTF are hey using plastic for these parts? My explorer also rains in the back down the thrid row seat belt. I tried taking off the roof racks and siliconed up any cracks I saw but it still rains inside.

Back