• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! Clutch issues

Shadow10978

Reaction score
City, State
Jaffrey NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Lake Champlain
Good Morning all, I hate to beg and be a bother but I am at wits end with my 1997 Explorer. We have replaced the Master Clutch Cylinder, the Slave Cylinder, the Pressure Plate and all that other good stuff that comes in the Clutch kit, and we are still having major problems with the clutch. 2 days ago my clutch basically locked me out, I was trying to shift into first gear and my clutch pedal got rock hard and would not move it was stuck, we figured out that the line that goes into the slave had popped out and the metal connector that attaches to the clutch pedal also broke. Well we got a new Master and now we can not get it to bleed at all.. We have tried bench bleeding, gravity bleeding and are now completely at a loss as to what to try.. The line that popped out is on order but I wont have that till next week could our problem be the line that connects the master and slave?

I am sorry if I sound kind of stupid and clueless about vehicals, its because I am when it comes to technical terms. My husband understands the technical stuff but to me they are all doohickeys and whichamacallits lol.

Thanks in advance for any help at all that you can offer at this point, we are willing to try anything including a 1/4 stick of dynamite at this point, it has been a year long fight with the clutch in this truck. Even after replacing everything the thing still didnt shift well without double clutching it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Until the line replacement comes in, we won't know for sure, I guess.

For whatever it's worth, last week I replaced the master cylinder in mine, and got zero results until I read where someone pointed out that if you install the master before you fill with fluid, there's an air bubble that gets trapped up towards the top of the cylinder. Try taking out the master - leaving it connected - and turn it upside-down so that the bubble flows towards what would be the bottom, then do a gravity bleed.

Thanks Dave I will mention that to hubby to try I hope it will resolve it till we get the new line cause I cant be without a vehical

Well, I hope that's what works for you. You didn't really tell us what condition the clutch is in at the moment - soft pedal, no pedal, hard pedal, etc - so I had to assume a soft/no pedal.

With the new master in its spongy I think, honestly I havnt checked it because I have no real clue what I am doing lol. I am just the one thats not afraid to come on here and beg for advice lol.. I know its not stuck like it was the other night tho so thats a start.

:* Dave you are a genius!!! You made it work till we can get the new line thank you SOOOOOOOOO much!!!

:)

I wouldn't say 'genius', but the appreciation is... umm... appreciated. :D

Back