• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help diagnosing rough idle.

Explodr94

Reaction score
City, State
Vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XL
Wife's came home last weekend and engine had a rough idle. I scanned the motor KOEO and pulled a Code 157 MAF sensor. I replaced the MAF sensor and the code went away. Ran a scan KOEO & KOER and pulled no codes. Rough idle continues, so I inspect IAC which was replaced a couple of years ago. Valve looks sticky, but working. Replaced with Motorcraft IAC. Today, I decided to drive the EX to work. The idle smooths out over 1800 RPMs, although I felt a slight shudder while cruising at 70 mph. When I returned home I noticed excessive fuel consumption. Third of a tank for 70 miles. Now, I suspect Fuel Pressure Regulator or Fuel Injectors. I have ruled out head gasket, car ran cool the whole ride on a 103 degree day in Southern CAL. Besides the intake gaskets, what else could cause this condition? I replaced the DPFE sensor about fifty thousand miles ago with Ford upgrade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mawrazen

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Have you checked for a vacuum leak?

Explodr94

Reaction score
City, State
Vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XL
I checked all vacuum. I have read from previous posts that intake gaskets are an issue. However, it appears that is with the 95 and up models.

mawrazen

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Try seafoam through the intake.

I now have 236+K miles on my 94 EB Ex. I used to get 12-14 MPG when I purchased it with 175K. I recently got over 23 mpg on a recent road trip.

You may need a tranny modulator. After I replaced it and the truck ran much better!

25 dollar part. paid a local shop $100 to install it for me. Good Luck!
:salute:

Explodr94

Reaction score
City, State
Vista, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XL
Update

After reading another recent post on rought idle, I found one of my fan blades missing. This cured the problem immediately. Thanks.