• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! Drivetrain/Front End

Stuman78424

Reaction score
City, State
Wetumpka, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Ok, a quick run-down...about 4 years ago I twisted my torsion bars and put shackles in the back of my 1998 Explorer Sport (Auto, 4x4). I took it to get new tires about a week ago and got a phone call. I needed new upper ball joints (imagine that). I replaced the lower ball joints myself about the same time as the lift. I told them to go ahead and do it so they could get a good alignment done. On my way home (Montgomery to Auburn), about 45 miles, I got off the interstate and it seemed like my drivetrain was binding somehow, BAD! I immediately thought...transmission...and started trying to find a gear that would go so I could get off the road. I hit reverse fine and every other gear fine as I made it home (very slowly about 2 miles). Ever since, whenever I go over a bump or my suspension "expands." I get a mild vibration from the FRONT END. It's almost like a grind, but it's more loud than it is anything. Is there any chance that after the new upper ball joints my suspension settled differently and my axles could be under too much stress given the torsion twist? It's the only thing I can figure...Or shall I say, want to figure.....Any ideas guys? I'd love to tear it apart in the driveway, but I'm a college student and basically live in the library. I'm doing good to have time to take it to the shop.

P.S. - Oh yea, 156k miles, Original Tranny...only major work done was the timing chain tensioner recall @ 75k miles.

I'm thinking that it might be an alignment issue... Changing the upper control arms wouldn't have any effect on the way the suspension sets with weight on the wheels, and unless the botched something else up, I don't see how replacing the upper C/As could cause a shimmy. The only other thing they did was the alignment, which could cause the other issues...

At the very least, I'd take it back to them and see what they can find.

-Joe

Bump...Bump...Anybody else have an opinion on it?

Well for a another bump...and some more info. I crawled under the X night before last and started thinking(great place to think, eh?). I turn the front driveshaft back and forth a few times while examining the c/v axles. the driver's side rotates, no suprise there, and the passenger's side rotates but seems to twist. It's hard to put into words but it seems like there is play around the axle where it exits the axle housing. We'll say front to back play as in front the front of the X to the back. there is also a great deal of play in and out. Could it be possible I have the infamous C-clip problem? Maybe it broke and somehow has worn out a bearing causing it to vibrate, make noise, etc...?

Back