Help:eek: Aussie damsel in distress here:-) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help:eek: Aussie damsel in distress here:-)

maxxxx

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited UP
Howdy all. I joined this forum for 2 years as you all seem so knowledeable and kind. But...help☹️

I'm a student who got carried away at an auction last week - fell hopelessly (irrationally) in love😍 with a '1998 Ford Explorer UP 4.0 litre 4D V6 12V SOHC MPFI (153KW). It has done 187km.

Mechanics are doing the "see a smiley slightly nervous young girl" thing & claiming totally exhorbitant lists of repairs needed to register it. One mechanic over the phone even said the LPG officially put in in 2000 would have destroyed the engine (as EVERYONE knows this about Explorers apparently) and the engine won't last me more than 2000 km more so I should junk it (and he has a better one to sell me of course:))

I'm in a new area, so have no idea if these mechanics are puling my leg or not.I've been reading all these forums and that doesn't sounds right...but...maybe I am being naive? Now I have information overload! It drives ok and cosmetically is immaculate..But sounds...well...a bit rough. The guy who owned it last died in June so it's been left for months. I am thinking it just needs a whole lot of fluids. But which ones do I start with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello again!
You came to the right place for that new to you 98
Have just a few questions

LPG put in 2000? What is that? to me LPG =- liquid propane gas

You said it sounds a bit rough.
Does this mean the engine makes a rattling noise at cold start? or some other noises? Please explain the "rough sounds"

Check ALL of the fluids, of course...but lets start with the two most important ones:

engine oil, make sure it is at level after the truck has been sitting. Is it clean or dark black? These engines get SYNTHETIC oil ONLY and change it often. the 97-98 SOHC v6 engine has some timing issues that can kill these engines early, but if the previous owner kept up on his oil changes they can last 200 even 300,000 MILES (lol)
When you come here with a 98 and say it "sounds rough" we start to think your engine is in bad shape, it likely needs all new timing components as the 98 was an early model of this overhead cam v6

transmission fluid, Level is checked with the truck warm, on flat ground and running in Park. The fluid level can be difficult to read on the dipstick. Is the fluid bright red/pink or is it brown and smell burned?

Welcome young lady and we are glad to help. I'll let Jamie/410Fortune go through most of the basics for checking out a new used vehicle.

The 4.0 SOHC engine timing parts are the biggest concern, but at high mileage, a lot of things seem to get neglected. So expect to spend a lot of time early on looking at things and working out what needs attention the most.

If you can, figure out how to post any pictures here that you have. We love pics, and they can help a lot with conveying what's being talked about.

Howdy all. I joined this forum for 2 years as you all seem so knowledeable and kind. But...help☹️

I'm a student who got carried away at an auction last week - fell hopelessly (irrationally) in love😍 with a '1998 Ford Explorer UP 4.0 litre 4D V6 12V SOHC MPFI (153KW). It has done 187km.

Mechanics are doing the "see a smiley slightly nervous young girl" thing & claiming totally exhorbitant lists of repairs needed to register it. One mechanic over the phone even said the LPG officially put in in 2000 would have destroyed the engine (as EVERYONE knows this about Explorers apparently) and the engine won't last me more than 2000 km more so I should junk it (and he has a better one to sell me of course:))

I'm in a new area, so have no idea if these mechanics are puling my leg or not.I've been reading all these forums and that doesn't sounds right...but...maybe I am being naive? Now I have information overload! It drives ok and cosmetically is immaculate..But sounds...well...a bit rough. The guy who owned it last died in June so it's been left for months. I am thinking it just needs a whole lot of fluids. But which ones do I start with?
Hard to say from what you're telling us. They could be pulling your leg, but it is also possible that the mechanic may indeed be right.
LPG has a fairly high octane rating and that can indeed cause issues.
I have no idea if the 4.0 SOHC engine is an engine that handles LPG rather well or not when it's converted. And who knows how well or poorly the conversion was done, and how well or not the previous owner took care of the car and engine.

So it might be useful to do some research about LPG conversion of cars with this specific engine to get a general idea how it affects the lifetime of this engine.

It's good that you're being weary. Let them thoroughly explain all the necessary repairs and what is wrong with the engine you have in there.
With the little information you posted it's nearly impossible to say if the mechanic is generally right with the assessment or not.

The best way to find out is letting the mechanic give a detailed list of necessary repairs with a cost estimate and then checking back if the suggested necessary repairs are typical for converted (or stock) 4.0L SOHC engines to happen like that and to see if the whole thing and the damages 'make sense' or not. If the diagnosis and the estimate seems reasonable or fishy.

Oh, and about the fluids,... I would recommend flushing the engine and then replacing it with new oil and adding some Liqui Moly MoS2 additive to the Engine oil (This stuff made my 4.0 OHV engine sound like new again when I added it, the difference was surprisingly noticeable, it will naturally make your engine oil black, so don't be alarmed about that then afterwards. This MoS2 additive is just naturally black.). But if the engine really needs some major repairs then there may not be much point in changing the oil before having it fixed

PS: On the conversion, maybe this general opinion here helps a little and it might help you see what type of conversion was installed in your vehicle:
Ford Explorer LPG

Hard to say from what you're telling us. They could be pulling your leg, but it is also possible that the mechanic may indeed be right.
I have no idea if the 4.0 SOHC engine is an engine that handles LPG rather well or not when it's converted. And who knows how well or poorly the conversion was done, and how well or not the previous owner took care of the car and engine.

So it might be useful to do some research about LPG conversion of cars with this specific engine to get a general idea how it affects the lifetime of this engine.

It's good that you're being weary. Let them thoroughly explain all the necessary repairs and what is wrong with the engine you have in there.
With the little information you posted it's nearly impossible to say if the mechanic is generally right with the assessment or not.

The best way to find out is letting the mechanic give a detailed list of necessary repairs with a cost estimate and then checking back if the suggested necessary repairs are typical for converted (or stock) 4.0L SOHC engines to happen like that and to see if the whole thing and the damages 'make sense' or not. If the diagnosis and the estimate seems reasonable or fishy.

Oh, and about the fluids,... I would recommend flushing the engine and then replacing it with new oil and adding some Liqui Moly MoS2 additive to the Engine oil (This stuff made my 4.0 OHV engine sound like new again when I added it, the difference was surprisingly noticeable, it will naturally make your engine oil black, so don't be alarmed about that then afterwards. This MoS2 additive is just naturally black.). But if the engine really needs some major repairs then there may not be much point in changing the oil before having it fixed

PS: On the conversion, maybe this general opinion here helps a little and it might help you see what type of conversion was installed in your vehicle:
Ford Explorer LPG
Ah! A German Engineer (my Husband's German so I hear constantly you guys are superior..at *everything*:-)) Thank you SO much. The mechanics are really snowed under right now and being dismissive / talking jargon at me. Which seems a bit rude...they are experts at their stuff, I am experts at mine. But I followed your link and "find out if the conversion is Single Point, if it is, beware! When you inspect under the bonnet, look out for the tell tale K&N air filter. If one has been fitted walk away, you will be buying trouble." This makes sense now...I may indeed have bought a disaster.Oh well, onto next Explorer for my dream adventures:cool:

Ford Explorer LPG
Btw I'm not *at all* sayng all mechanics rip off....many are very nice and diligent. I've had some shocker experiences is all...as have most women I know. A few bad apples etc. Mechanics are just insanely busy right now as we have just been let out of lockdown a few days ago...and so it's a hard time for anyone to be patient. My husband and all male relatives, friends, dog sport comrades & neighbours are geeks. So these past few days we've been a big, clueless, argumentative crowd standing on the front lawn around this poor old Explorer.

Saw Aussie damsel and had to pop in. I used to fly fighters and trained with the RAAF up in Townsville. Fell for an Aussie girl, been a sucker ever since!😍

Is there any way you can post a video of the engine running so we can hear what it sounds like? I’ve never seen one of these converted to LPG...interesting!

Saw Aussie damsel and had to pop in. I used to fly fighters and trained with the RAAF up in Townsville. Fell for an Aussie girl, been a sucker ever since!😍

Is there any way you can post a video of the engine running so we can hear what it sounds like? I’ve never seen one of these converted to LPG...interesting!
Hey wow, my Dad lives near Townsville...as a teenager my friends and I followed you RAAF guys around like besotted groupies:-) I'll post a photo soon...right now a bunch of computer nerds are trying to work out WTF a K&N filter is. Haha, I was about to head out on a singalong roadtrip into the desert with my niece. Me & a few wild camels staring at a blown engine trying to work out which is a K&N filter:banghead:

Here is the whole catastrophe...which I thought was fabulous.The engine is photo no 9

Right hand drive...and look at that console mounted shifter! So cool!

K&N filter is simply an oil-impregnated mesh style engine intake air filter.
It is super easy to remove the K&N filter and replace it with a stock style paper air filter, and they are cheap.
The problem that can occur with a K&N filter, is if the filter gets over-oiled, then that extra oil can foul the MAF sensor.
This can create driveability and idle issues.
Best course of action IMHO would be to clean the MAF sensor, and install a regular paper filter.
That should rule out any problems possibly caused by the K&N filter. Then you can work your way further down the line as far as any problems.
There are many YouTube videos and other resources that will cover how to clean the MAF sensor. Personally I use a couple of Q tips with rubbing alcohol and never had any issues. Just be gentle, don’t break the thin wires or else you will need a new MAF.
Congrats on the new ride, like was said, a video of the truck running would go a long way towards the good folks here being able to help

I'
Right hand drive...and look at that console mounted shifter! So cool!
l'll go record the engine after work.It has a very faint "ticker-ticker-ticker" sound as it drives. I thought the engine had just been sitting too long. Driving it home from the auction for an hour (mostly highway)I was happy as aclam...thought it sounded powerful & great...but when I drove past one group of mechanics I heard were good guys they were all sitting outside drinking their after-work beers and one lifted the bonnet briefly and said "ah mate you shoulda asked me down to do a pre-inspection first". I asked why and they just lifted their beers at me and said to come see them in Jan.

Sounds like it's running awesome to me ticking and all heck yea change the oil that's it... U even gotta knn out of the deal.. These things "TAKE A LICKEN AND KEEP ON TICKING"

K&N filter is simply an oil-impregnated mesh style engine intake air filter.
It is super easy to remove the K&N filter and replace it with a stock style paper air filter, and they are cheap.
The problem that can occur with a K&N filter, is if the filter gets over-oiled, then that extra oil can foul the MAF sensor.
This can create driveability and idle issues.
Best course of action IMHO would be to clean the MAF sensor, and install a regular paper filter.
That should rule out any problems possibly caused by the K&N filter. Then you can work your way further down the line as far as any problems.
There are many YouTube videos and other resources that will cover how to clean the MAF sensor. Personally I use a couple of Q tips with rubbing alcohol and never had any issues. Just be gentle, don’t break the thin wires or else you will need a new MAF.
Congrats on the new ride, like was said, a video of the truck running would go a long way towards the good folks here being able to help
You mean I can fix it/keep it? Fingers crossed. I was raised renovating houses so bugeted $3500 for this...$550 to register it then $2k or so getting it up to scratch. These mechanics seem to be saying that an LPG engine is wrecked FOREVER...ie it will conk out for good within 5k.

I'm a nostagic person (already named her Betsey after my great-Nan who loved car trips) and from 17 to 21 years old I criss-crossed dusty mountains in the Middle East, Asia and Europe in convoys of backpackersin 4WDS. But I was cook/bottlewasher/translator/local haggler..we had a constant united nations of mechanics along and I never took any notice. I want Betsey to be my learning project...see if I can't learn myself, gain a fun new hobby and have years of happy remote adventures. Thanks so much helpful people! Fingers crossed I can fix & keep her.

Here is the whole catastrophe...which I thought was fabulous.The engine is photo no 9

Wow, that's a beautiful Explorer, and I have owned four Limited's. That's my favorite color of the Explorers, that dark green is kind of rare. That was a great price even if the engine is hurt. I have seen several of those RHD models, being a mail carrier I have thought of building one if I found a RHD for parts.

The engine is the weakest link, that SOHC has now know issues with the timing chain system. When you find the time, search on here for "SOHC timing chain cassette" and tensioners. There are many parts among the system that should be replaced on occasion, most people don't touch them until the noises start. I did mine when I bought mine wrecked with 77,450 miles. At around 147k the transmission died, and I'm doing the timing parts again. I have never had any noises as you will read of here, doing the work timely, maintains the functioning well. When to do the work, that's debated, I like the range of 75-100k miles.

Have a trusted mechanic check out the front suspension. Unless someone did some work on it recently, it will likely need some new parts. The BJ's and hubs are often left untouched for lots of years. There are a lot of items which may need some work, it will all depend on how the prior owner took care of the vehicle.

The LPG system is something you will have to research about what it needs for maintenance etc. I hope Phil did a good job installing it in 2009.

Here's my version of RHD, my 99 Limited reconstructed from my old 93 Limited and a few front end parts, extra wiring and switches, and the air suspension from a 99-01.

Projectthread108.JPG

Projectthread002.JPG

You mean I can fix it/keep it? Fingers crossed. I was raised renovating houses so bugeted $3500 for this...$550 to register it then $2k or so getting it up to scratch. These mechanics seem to be saying that an LPG engine is wrecked FOREVER...ie it will conk out for good within 5k.

I'm a nostagic person (already named her Betsey after my great-Nan who loved car trips) and from 17 to 21 years old I criss-crossed dusty mountains in the Middle East, Asia and Europe in convoys of backpackersin 4WDS. But I was cook/bottlewasher/translator/local haggler..we had a constant united nations of mechanics along and I never took any notice. I want Betsey to be my learning project...see if I can't learn myself, gain a fun new hobby and have years of happy remote adventures. Thanks so much helpful people! Fingers crossed I can fix & keep her.
Yea I mean lpg I would say actually is beneficial if it's done correctly and I'm sure it was. You drove it on the highway I'm guessing there's no check engine light. The ticking could even be an exhaust leak. Don't go just yet unplugging and dismantling everything it could cause additional problems. People take these up past 500 thousand miles. Not dismissing what others have stated..early years for that timing chain setup ECT but runs is runs.

Good math 187k times 6, drop the last zero, and add two for every 60mph. So about 117k or close to it. That's low mileage for most of the parts there. It probably didn't get driven that much, but it will have typical issues for the 4.0 SOHC, and suspension for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'

l'll go record the engine after work.It has a very faint "ticker-ticker-ticker" sound as it drives. I thought the engine had just been sitting too long. Driving it home from the auction for an hour (mostly highway)I was happy as aclam...thought it sounded powerful & great...but when I drove past one group of mechanics I heard were good guys they were all sitting outside drinking their after-work beers and one lifted the bonnet briefly and said "ah mate you shoulda asked me down to do a pre-inspection first". I asked why and they just lifted their beers at me and said to come see them in Jan.

A slight tick could be a couple of things, the experts here will be able to put you on the right track.

Back