HELP Electrical nightmare right now only car need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP Electrical nightmare right now only car need help.

davef62

Reaction score
City, State
greenville sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Ok guys i have honestly been all over your forum and just joinging cause i just cant find the answer im looking for. And i have been looking for days.

Long story short.
Started messing w my 4wd shift motor, ever since then i have a laundry list of items not working on my EX.

i have it it 2wd and not messing w that again till i have someone w me.

Out of no place this is the list of things not working not on my ex..

1. Marking lights front and back. ( headlights, turn , tails, work )
2. Dome lights (open doors or by dome light buttons on the ceiling )
3. Rear wiper will not work
4. Under dash light will not work.
5. Under the hood light will not work.
6. OD button seems to not work
7. All my power windows stopped working

I cannot make any rhyme or reason of this.
I have checked every single fuse, under hood and in the car.
checked relays under the hood and under the dash.
i have racked my brain on this for 3 days now and im just at my minds end on figuring this out. And ive been all over your forum trying this and that and nothing seems to add up.

:salute::usa::

ANYONE have any suggestions. Im open to try anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guess the first question is exactly what were you doing with the shift motor?

first off check for a blown fuse, will need to probe all of them. :mad:

On my 98 sport, messing with the rear harness, I blew the fuse for the dome light, this also affected the windows and my 4x4 light was flashing on the dash gages.
Top of my head I want to say it was fuse #24 in the interior fuse box.
But dont quote me on that :)

First what i was doing w the 4wd motor was trying to get it to work. That became a 3 day even that ended with me pulling out the brand new one and just manually putting in 2wd to drive home.

I have checked every fuse 3 times. Someplace these parts are tied in. They all went the exact moment. Am i missing something?
Fuse box relay box under hood
Fuse box in door jam of driver's door
And that one lone dangling box above my drivers pedal.
Is there a other fuse relay loaction? Or control center?

Sorry for bad spelling n all day just waking up and eatingmy bagel. :)

fuses

The power window switches receive power from fuse 5 in the power distribution box via the accessory delay relay. The accessory delay relay receives energizing power from fuse 27 in the interior fuse panel that receives power from fuse 7 in the power distribution box via the battery saver relay. The battery saver relay and the accessory delay relay are controlled by the GEM.

It looks like power to the magnetic clutch coil in the electronic shift motor transfer case also comes from the accessory delay relay via the torque on demand relay which is controlled by the GEM.

And i may be wrong jusk waking up, thats the big realy under the dash above your right foot? I replacedit last night w a new one. No dice.

Can not having the TCM plugged in be causing some.of this? It was only way i could get home. That girl just stopped all out on me

Sorry , re read that. I may be looking at a GEM? is there A way to test

"tcm"?

And i may be wrong jusk waking up, thats the big realy under the dash above your right foot? I replacedit last night w a new one. No dice.

Are you referring to the relay module that contains the accessory delay relay and the battery saver relay?

Can not having the TCM plugged in be causing some.of this? It was only way i could get home. That girl just stopped all out on me

So I don't waste time chasing the wrong thing what is the "TCM"?

The GEM is heavily involved in the 4WD function as well as numerous other things which is why it is named the generic electronic module. Do you have the V8 or the V6?

TCM = transfer case motor.

Had to take it off and manually put it in 2wd to get it home.
So its totaly wire and all disconnected.

transfer case connector

For your vehicle it looks like there is only one connector to the transfer case and it includes the connections for the shift motor. It being disconnected should not prevent the GEM from energizing the accessory delay relay or the battery saver relay unless the GEM has the capability to determine the connector has been disconnected. I suggest that you remove and test the three fuses I mentioned in my earlier post. If they are good then I suspect all of your problems are the result of a GEM failure. The GEM is not very reliable.
PwrWindowsA.jpg

PwrWindowsB.jpg

And your from gville! Hell yeah! Maybe you got the chance to see my exp doing 55 down wade hampton last week and lock up into 4wd low. Was a pretty show! Smoked all 4 tires the wrong way lmao!

If this all works if you need anything you come to the autozone in Taylors. Im a manager there. Hook u up w the discount! ;)

Omg! I feel like a dolt!!!! If anyone has this issue again.
Under the hood the bigger fuses some how in my night time troubleshooting i forgot to out it back in! Was sitting on my wiperlike i out it there "so id rememeber" lmao! Thats awesome!
Thank you for the help. I needed a good night sleep and rainy day to see my stupid mistake.
Thanks !!!:)

I still dont see how the dome lights, running lights, windows, hood light all ran off that one large fuse. I swear sometimes the worldhates me lol

Back