HELP!!!!!!!!! Explorer overheating! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!!!!!!!! Explorer overheating!

EDELBROCK

Reaction score
City, State
MIAMI FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 RANGER
I have a 91 4.0 Explorer 2wd auto. I have changed the 2 temp sensors, radiator cap, thermostat, and fan clutch. Truck still overheats! It seems to stay by the middle of the guage when driving 30 mph but once I get on it to drive normal speeds 45 plus it starts to overheat. The truck is not losing any fluid at all.The top and bottom of radiator are evenly hot and both hoses are hot so I am lost as to what it is. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i believe it's time to jerk your radiator and take it to a radiator shop...they can rod it out for you and make it like new...it sounds like it is plugged up and not circulating properly..the only other thing that you might want to do real quick is to take and bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 hoses together...i just use a 2" piece of 1/2" copper and 2 hose clamps...good luck...:D

91 over heating

My 91 xlt 4wd was also overheating, i removed the radiator which is real easy to do.Flushed it out good with a water hose by turning radiator upside down, and sideways for about 20 minutes, must have flushed out at least 4 or 5 cups of rust, plus put-on new radiator cap.Dosent over heat anymore but it stays at m or a on gauge which is good for a explore in central florida on a hot day with a/c on

tbars:

BYPASS the heater core? How would that help? I was under the impression that if your vehicle is overheating, turning the heat on high helps to dissipate heat out of the cooling system. What am I missing?

Mike

if you had factory air there can be a buildup of crap between the ac radiator and the cooolant radiator. pull your rad and see.

The radiator sounds suspect with all of the other things being new. I would also wonder about the proper fan blades on it, and the fan clutch still.

Have you got very little anti-freeze in it, you barely need a gallon total. Water transfers heat far better than anti-freeze. Add a bottle of Water Weter to the coolant also.

If any rust material comes out of the radiator, it needs much more than a water hose, take it to a radiator repair shop. Good luck,

...mikeinri... i've seen this happen for years on fords...the heater core is blocked/packed, and there isn't any circulation in those hoses...by bypassing this you can quickly rule out this problem...;)

That might identify a heater core problem, like for no heat in the cab, but it doesn't affect engine cooling.

With the many new parts used, I'd say look hard at the radiator and fan clutch. Regards,

...i will differ with you on this with out making a big deal...i have found this on more than a couple vehicles...i am not saying it is the whole problem as in, read post #2, but additionally a culprit to the overheating...lack of recirculated fluid which retains higher temps near the sending unit...;)

When mine was doing this same thing, I found that the water pump was bad. I swapped it out and cured my problem.

I'd suggest dirt in your radiator fins (externally) but you said that you had a 2WD. Unless you run a bunch of really dusty/muddy stuff with the truck, that isn't likely your problem.

Back