HELP!! Explorer suddenly died while idling, don't hear fuel pump priming. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Explorer suddenly died while idling, don't hear fuel pump priming.

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Thankfully it died in the driveway at my girlfriend's place but it has been running fine all day and then when I went to drop my gf off it just conked out while idling and then won't restart, don't hear the fuel pump priming. Feels like it wants to start.

Another week and more **** wrong with this ####ing truck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You've checked fuel pressure already?

It may be the pump is dead.

And don't hate on that truck. I've learned quite a bit about Ex's from you.

You've checked fuel pressure already?

It may be the pump is dead.

And don't hate on that truck. I've learned quite a bit about Ex's from you.

It literally died minutes before my post so no I haven't checked fuel pressure. I don't hear the pump prime when I turn the key on. You can hear it almost kick over like it's getting a bit of gas. Had it towed home, and I guess I'll be driving my mom's Aviator for the week.

I'm just getting frustrated because the past few months I've had to replace so many crucial parts at times when I really don't have the money to. The truck has been a problem since the beginning but shows glimpses of awesomeness that have kept me from selling it. It's left me stranded 3 times in 10 months which IMO is unacceptable. My 03, 98, and 97 left me stranded a grand total of once and that one time was entirely my fault.

It literally died minutes before my post so no I haven't checked fuel pressure. I don't hear the pump prime when I turn the key on. You can hear it almost kick over like it's getting a bit of gas. Had it towed home, and I guess I'll be driving my mom's Aviator for the week.

I'm just getting frustrated because the past few months I've had to replace so many crucial parts at times when I really don't have the money to. The truck has been a problem since the beginning but shows glimpses of awesomeness that have kept me from selling it. It's left me stranded 3 times in 10 months which IMO is unacceptable. My 03, 98, and 97 left me stranded a grand total of once and that one time was entirely my fault.

Hmm, check the fuel pressure.
You've made sure to check the switch in the passenger foot well?

Also, all the basics.. Fuses and such.

I fixed it.

I think the pigtail had started to walk itself out of the intertia switch and then my gf must have hit it or something and knocked it out a bit more. The pigtail was still sitting in the switch but I don't think it was touching any of the contacts. I pushed it back in and she fired up.

I fixed it.

I think the pigtail had started to walk itself out of the intertia switch and then my gf must have hit it or something and knocked it out a bit more. The pigtail was still sitting in the switch but I don't think it was touching any of the contacts. I pushed it back in and she fired up.

Lmfao.
Never forget about simple things. ;)

Good to hear you fixed it.

But, it happens, when something that seems majorly wrong happens, you start jumping to conclusions that it's the worst possible thing in that time of panic.

you know to bypass that switch and replace those old relays! That simple stuff can make you cuss and throw stuff.

Back