Help figuring this problem out?

greenreddew

Reaction score
City, State
Lehighton, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer
Hello.

Please bare with me while I try to explain the best I can. We have been trying to figure out the lack of power since getting the truck a couple years ago.

When we run the scanner, we get these:
P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0171: System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174: System too Lean (Bank 2)

We have changed spark plugs, wires, box thing, o2 sensors, ignition coil, throttle position sensor, and maybe a couple other things I can not think of.

We are stumped at what the issue could be. It has no power going up hill and depending on the hill, will lose speed. It also is super rough in the morning starting up. it will sputter on first start up especially cold mornings but will be fine the rest of the day.

With winter coming, def need to get this figured out before Pa snow hits.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will try my best to explain anything else or answer questions that you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on the odo?

Any discoloration in the exhaust pipe? (Black goo, white powder, etc)

An easy first check is the IAC. The rough starting then runs and starts normally is a big indicator of a dirty IAC. Inspect/clean it.

Misfires on all cylinders isn't a misfire. There are two systems that could cause it: fuel (lack of) and spark (lack of). Whatever it is, it is common to all cylinders. Are you actually misfiring or are you just getting the codes?

Given the loss of power going uphill, coupled with all cylinders indicating a misfire, and lean codes on both banks......I'd start (after cleaning the IAC) looking at the fuel system. Low pressure, low flow, etc.....

Thanks for the replies.

When the kids are not asking me a million questions while typing 2 words, i will get a chance to fill out everything about it.

the truck is a Explorer XLT standard engine ( i believe) 4 door 4WD 118,000 or so miles.

Nothing crazy on the exhaust pipe. It does have water dripping while idling but no goo or powder.

What is IAC? I just dont know all the lingo just yet.

tomorrow morning, if i get a chance, i can get a video or audio of the start up if that would help.

Thanks for the replies.

When the kids are not asking me a million questions while typing 2 words, i will get a chance to fill out everything about it.

the truck is a Explorer XLT standard engine ( i believe) 4 door 4WD 118,000 or so miles.

Nothing crazy on the exhaust pipe. It does have water dripping while idling but no goo or powder.

What is IAC? I just dont know all the lingo just yet.

tomorrow morning, if i get a chance, i can get a video or audio of the start up if that would help.

there are 3 possible engines. none of them were considered "standard". two v6's and a v8. judging by your misfire codes i'm guessing you have the SOHC 4.0L v6. if you don't know, tell us the 8th character of your VIN number.

Checking the fuel pressure at the port located near the battery is easy and cheap. Can use a simple $2 dial type tire air pressure gauge. With the truck cold, turn the key to on but do not start, then turn back off after you hear the fuel pump stop priming (maybe 2-3 seconds). Check the pressure. Should be around 60psi. If it's anything less than 45 it will be difficult to start. If that looks ok, then start the engine and let it run for a minute or so, then turn off. Check pressure again, should be 50 or more. If the pressure is low then either the fuel filter is clogged (possible) or the pump is weak (likely). If pressure is good, then obviously have other issues.

Good morning. Sorry for the delay in replying.

had husband look at this thread and he says:

yes that engine.

yes bosch plugs. he had no idea ( me either) that they would be bad for explody.

I a currently working on a upload of a video from starting this morning. as soon as it is live, i will post the link. It is 27 degrees here so def a cold start.

That's how mine is starting from cold but not nearly as bad. Mine races up and down for about 30 sec then settles down. Everybody said IAC but a new one didn't fix it.

Truck start up: http://youtu.be/FOvXnsQA0FY

Hopefully the link works.

Its not your IAC. It wouldn't idle at all. But, a clean IAC doesn't hurt! Sounds like you're starving for fuel.

Start with replacing the fuel filter (if you haven't done already done that). If the condition persists, then check the fuel pressure.

More likely to be an intake leak after the MAF sensor (intake tube or PCV elbow) than a fuel supply problem (runs better at higher speed), but you need to check. But you might want to start with the plugs, since that could do it also.

Figure I would update you all.

Turned out the rear cat converter was partly collapsed. She running so much better now and this morning i will see just how must better the start up is.

and naturally, i come home from the shop and a fog light goes out haha.

Back