Help finding Sport Trac Cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help finding Sport Trac Cluster

mms1361

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
Im trying to look for a white face sport trac cluster that has the speedometer in 10mph increments. One that looks like this. I need it to have a mechanical odometer. Im having a hard time even finding pictures of one like that. Did they come limited in certain years or what?
od1.jpg

All i can find are the white face ones with 20mph increments and a silver overlay like this one:
39819-new-sport-trac-cluster.jpg

Again i need it to have the mechanical odometer and not the digital one. I know ive seen digital ones with the 10mph increments but thats not what im looking for

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe a 2001-03 Sport Trac gauge cluster is what you're looking for. 2004-05 ST's have digital odometers.

Yeah i know the mechanical ones with white faces are 01-03. The problem is ive seen about 30 explorers and not one of them had the 10mph increments WITH a white face like the first pic. Thats why i was asking if the 10mph one is like a special edition sport trac or something.

Ive seen 04+ clusters with a white face AND 10mph increments but those are digital and have a message center. Not what im looking for

You are correct. Looking at the owners manuals, the 2001-03 ST's are in 20 MPH increments. Hope they exist and you find one. GL

So after spending half the day physically searching for one and half the night searching the internet i have come to the conclusion that this cluster is non existent because:

This is what a stock 01-03 cluster looks like
-126-wb-xlt-premium-instrument-cluster_100263883_m.jpg

In the write ups the user did here and several other forums. http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring2009/odometer.html
He says the cluster came from a 4x4 sport trac
2 clues are spotted before dissassembly
od1.jpg

1:The overlay from the cluster is a dark grey. All of the original unremoved 01-03 Clusters with white gauges Ive seen, the overlay is silver.
2:The shift indicator and odometer are black. All of the original unremoved 01-03 Cluster with white gauges Ive seen, the indicator and odometer is white.

It appears as though he had removed an original sport trac cluster, when in fact it wasnt. It had already been tampered with/customized.

The 3rd and final clue is spotted when he starts dissassembling the cluster.
od3.jpg

3:Upon the cluster dissassembly it is noticed the Tach/Speedometer gauge face has no Ford part #s while the other 2 gauge halves do. This would indicate that is not a genuine ford part and rather an aftermarket accessory.

This is what a genuine ford speedo would look like. Notice those part#s
599687.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With that myth debunked....

I have two more questions
1.Can anyone post me a picture of what an original 01-03 sport trac cluster looks like lit up at night?
2.Is anyone else running that aftermarket gauge face or do you know where i can get one?

KJOCCUZ.png

Is this what a stock gauge looks like lit up at night?

Looks like to me but I'll have to check later when it's dark, some my lights are out.

I had an overlay perfectly match stock (but white not grey/silver to match instrument cluster) for the hvac control from whiteguages.net. They did a great job and their customer service was above and beyond. They didn't have a render that match exactly (you can tell when it's lit), I sent mines in-they made a render-they installed for me & and payed return shipping. So I know they have exact match for the hvac controls- may have to call and ask for it but not sure about the instrument cluster. If they don't have what you want I know they can make it for you

This is the link to the hvac thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415640

Looks like to me but I'll have to check later when it's dark, some my lights are out.

I had an overlay perfectly match stock (but white not grey/silver to match instrument cluster) for the hvac control from whiteguages.net. They did a great job and their customer service was above and beyond. They didn't have a render that match exactly (you can tell when it's lit), I sent mines in-they made a render-they installed for me & and payed return shipping. So I know they have exact match for the hvac controls- may have to call and ask for it but not sure about the instrument cluster. If they don't have what you want I know they can make it for you

This is the link to the hvac thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415640

Hmm was the overlay they sent you a sticker? was it transperent where the light would show through or did they add their own hue to it.

I was wondering if i couldve used this overlay for the 02 explorer
http://www.whitegauges.net/products/2002-Ford-Explorer-White-Face-Gauges.html
It looks eerily similar. But the cutouts for the needle stops are in different places. And theres no provisions for all the blinkers,theft,brake,battery seat lights.

Maybe they can do a one off
Ill have to shoot them an email.

Is that From an 04 explorer face? It is listed as 02 is that incorrect info?

Any overlay is basicly a sticker-I thought

Yes it needs to be transparent where the light would normally shine through

The light output/color is controlled by that green tint on the backside- I think?

Got it, I just sent them a long email. Im going to make a seperate thread for this to check interest.

You'll need a sport trac specific I believe-maybe a sport? They may have the render just not listed online, like I said they have 1 for the hvac controls because I sent it in but that's still not listed. If they don't you'll more than likely need to send it to them to make a render.

Yes, an '01-03 Explorer Sport is the same. I have a cluster from a Sport, '01 I think, and it's just like my '01 and '02 STs with 20 mph increments.

Back