Help finding thread about power steering pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help finding thread about power steering pump

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I know I've read it on here somewhere, but I can't find it..

Someone, was it the Izwack?, modified and document how to increase the pump pressure on the Explorer Power steering pump.

Anyone remember who did it and or where the thread is?

I need to do something as I'm just starting to have issues at idle when wheeling and I was thinking of going to a Saginaw pump or modifying the stock pump to increase the pressure some.

I'm not "positive" the Saginaw pump will actually put out more pressure than the stock pump.. I'm still digging into that..

~Mark

The 1st gen's can be bumped up in pressure, but the 2nd gen's can not (at least not the one on the SOHC - dunno about the 2nd gen OHV). The 1st gen has basically a Saginaw "P" style pump, the 2nd gen SOHC has a botched "TC" style.

West Texas Off Road has the writeup on how to increase the "P" style's pressure by shimming innards of the flow piston:
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

Ahh.. thats the page I was looking for. I was continuing the search and ran across a google link that took me back to EF with your attempt at modifying the SOHC pump.

For some reason the westtexas link didn't work. Go figure...

I thought the saginaw pump from a late 70's f-250 out of the box put out more pressure than the explorer pump.. Or am I confused again?

~Mark

Yeah thats weird - sometimes the link doesnt work. Right click on the link, copy the URL and paste it into your browser (server might be looking at the "referrer" section of the HTTP header and redirecting).

As for that F-250 pump, look at this PBB tech article and see if you can find anything about it:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index2.html

Back