Help!!!.....front driveshaft CV joint problem!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!!.....front driveshaft CV joint problem!!

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I've got a 1997 AWD Mercury Mountaineer (just like an explorer). On the way home from work, an extremely loud fast poping noise starting coming from the front end. I though that it was one of the u-joints on the front driveshaft. Well, I get up under the truck and find out that there is one u-joint that goes from the front driveshaft to the front differential, but there is a CV joint on the other end of the driveshaft that is hooked to the transfwecase. The CV joint is trashed. The rubber boot is gone and I can see all of the chewed up ball bearings in it. I called all of the local part stores and nobody can get a replacment CV joint, and some places are even saying that I need to buy an entire new fron driveshaft from the dealership. HELP!! Can I get this thing rebuild, or am I stuck taking it to a shop and paying $400 to get it fixed? I hate taking my truck anywere when I can do the repairs myself.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by imq707s
I've got a 1997 AWD Mercury Mountaineer (just like an explorer). On the way home from work, an extremely loud fast poping noise starting coming from the front end. I though that it was one of the u-joints on the front driveshaft. Well, I get up under the truck and find out that there is one u-joint that goes from the front driveshaft to the front differential, but there is a CV joint on the other end of the driveshaft that is hooked to the transfwecase. The CV joint is trashed. The rubber boot is gone and I can see all of the chewed up ball bearings in it. I called all of the local part stores and nobody can get a replacment CV joint, and some places are even saying that I need to buy an entire new fron driveshaft from the dealership. HELP!! Can I get this thing rebuild, or am I stuck taking it to a shop and paying $400 to get it fixed? I hate taking my truck anywere when I can do the repairs myself.

Thanks

You have a few options.. You can get a remanufactured for around $80-100 plus the core charge but you get that back once your return your bad one. You can also try a junk yard, I know they aren't the greatest but if one is not available, that might be your best bet. Other than getting it professionally rebuilt. Replacing a cv axle isn't very hard. If you can do your brakes, then you can do your cv axle.

Yeah, I paid $70 for the whole new unit. They're really easy to install yourself too.

Where did you get the remanufactured unit from ? Is it the entire driveshaft, or just the CV joint assembly? Thanks

Its the entire shaft from diffy to hub. I got mine at Autozone.

Crap...I just called autoZone and they said that they have them in their computer, but they are not available any more???? I guess I 'll just keep calling around to see if anyone has one. Thanks for the help guys, I can't believe how fast I got anwsers. I love this site.

Ian

I'd also like to know where I can get the remanufactured shafts from or a kit to rebuild it myself.

Try Carquest auto parts or any of the other major ones.. They should be able to get one within a day or so.

You have a few options.. You can get a remanufactured for around $80-100 plus the core charge but you get that back once your return your bad one. You can also try a junk yard, I know they aren't the greatest but if one is not available, that might be your best bet. Other than getting it professionally rebuilt. Replacing a cv axle isn't very hard. If you can do your brakes, then you can do your cv axle.

I can't find anything cheaper than 250 bucks. Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPV0/659450.oap?keyword=drive+shaft!s!prop+shaft

I've got the exact same problem...

Look through our vendors, I got a brand new OEM ford one for 302 shipped from Eric a couple years ago. The one I bought at Napa blew up within a week, under Normal driving conditions. I've beat the crap outta the ford one without any slight issues.

Look through our vendors, I got a brand new OEM ford one for 302 shipped from Eric a couple years ago. The one I bought at Napa blew up within a week, under Normal driving conditions. I've beat the crap outta the ford one without any slight issues.

300 bucks. Ouch. Was hoping for the 70-100 from the first part of the thread. Is that really the only option?

Our AWD front driveshafts are unique to the other explorers, you don't wanna skimp out on this... I think the Napa one that blew up was $160.

Our AWD front driveshafts are unique to the other explorers, you don't wanna skimp out on this... I think the Napa one that blew up was $160.

Poop. How do I go through a vendor here? Not sure how to look that up...

Dude, that's probably a cheap knock off, don't do it... I know money is tight.. but if you wanna pay that plus shipping... only to have it blow up on you in short order... you'll be back to square one. Look for Ericautopart in our venders, he has new OEM Ford ones... trust me, the extra cash will go a long way.

Dude, that's probably a cheap knock off, don't do it... I know money is tight.. but if you wanna pay that plus shipping... only to have it blow up on you in short order... you'll be back to square one. Look for Ericautopart in our venders, he has new OEM Ford ones... trust me, the extra cash will go a long way.

I posted, but didn't hear anything yet.

Look on the driver's door sticker. What is the date of manufacture for your vehicle?

Also, look at the output flange from the transfer case to the front driveshaft. Is is cone shaped or flat?

Here are a few links to help you out:
Link 1 Replacing with a non-OEM driveshaft.

Link 2 Rebuilding the driveshaft with a new CV-joint.

These options might not last as long as an OEM replacement, but I figure you deserve to know there are alternatives.

if you just need to rebuild that stupid little rubber ball locator thing any driveshaft shop should be able to help. I went to the one by my house after only finding one place online to buy it. The guy grabbed it off the shelf and said $10.00 and he even threw it on for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back