• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Help!!!.....front driveshaft CV joint problem!!

Serio

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
Hey I have the same truck as you and have the same problem, I got the part for $150 at AutoZone with a $100 core charge. I have yet to look on how to replace it but like my Jefe says, "No one is born knowing everything" the thing that my truck was doing was, when I sped up or floored it 80% of the times I would hear a big popping noise and a little faint yet noticeable ticking but that big popping still happens going down the road at times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

OneLever

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD
Welcome to the forum Serio! You can actually climb up under the truck and check to see if the CV-joint boot is torn. Which it often is when you hear the joint going bad. There is some helpful info in the first link I provided on actually replacing it.

Heuster

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 5.0 AWD
Fixed it.

Here is the long and short of my story:

I had the front drive shaft rebuilt - noise didn't go away, minus $300
Took to a guy to run diagnosis, he says that TC is bad and wanted 2100 to replace
I took it to an axle/diff guy and he had to rebuilt the tc and put in new u-joints on the rear drive shaft for $1,000. Fixed the problem and gave me another over-drawn checking account.

I'm a glutton for punishment and I still have to replace the heater core, blend door, an exhaust leak that I don't know which part to buy to fix but I know where it is...still a long way to go.

Bandit6134

Reaction score
City, State
Greeley, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
2000 Ford Explorer driveshaft cv joint repair

I need to replace the driveshaft cv joint and don't exactly know how to do it. I am going to do it myself as I do all other repairs on my 2000 Ford Explorer. Can anyone tell me how or give me a link to a tutorial video of some kind?

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
He’s been waiting 6 years for this.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Always comes up for people searching for the issue, though, so someone will likely find it helpful in the future.