Help! Front End Squeak Unknown!

PghBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have searched the threads and found nothing to help me!

Here are the symptoms that started this past week:

1 A low pitched front end squeak under the following conditons:

> Traveling in a straight line and vertical movement in the front end occurs (bumps or dips in road).
> Turning, either direction, as in making a left or right turn.
> Stopped and in park, foot off brake, and turn wheels right or left.
> Parked, motor shut off and, standing on driver’s door sill, rock the vehicle

2 “Squeak” not affected by 4x4 auto, high or low.

3 No vibrations anywhere.

4 AT tires (235-75-R15) - tires fit - no rubbing.

5 “Squeak” appears to be localized on the driver’s side.

6 No grease fittings on suspension components.

Vehicle Info.

‘97 XLT, stock suspension, brakes, etc, except as noted in signature below. 70.7k miles

Possible causes? Power steering? Bushings?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either a balljoint has gone dry on you, or maybe stabalizer bushings, your list of symtoms lead me more towards the balljoint area.

Sounds like radius arm bushings to me.

A 97 doesn't have radius arm bushings.

Same prob

I have the same prob, I even had my balljoints replaced and that helped most of it, but it still squeaked occasionally. Then it came back just like normal after just a couple months. I tried to grease and lubricate everything that I can see that moves underneith the friggin front end and it doesn't go away at all. But I have a different front end than you do so I doubt their related. Just wanted to say I feel ya, heh. :mad:

Forder, yours is probably coming from one of your radius arm bushings, or pivot arm bushing, I would spray a little lube on each one to find it, only spray one at a time till you track it down.

Is there anyway you could show me (like on a diagram somewhere on the net) or describe to me where the radius arm bushing and pivot arm bushing is? Sorry, I know where (and what) all the major parts to my truck are, like the engine, tranny, transfer case, and twin traction beams and how they work (for the most part). But I don't know where or what those parts are exactly... :(

I didn't read that far in his post - I just saw under his name where it says '91 Explorer - and correct a '97 would not.

Forder

The radius arm bushings are under the front doors, just follow the arms back and you will see them, the pivot bushings are at the inside mount of the traction beams where they attach to the frame. Overe time they can harden, and cause a sqeek like tennis shoes on a gym floor. Might be time for some Daystar poly bushings, these will help bring back the tightness of a new vehicle, I did this last year and it gave me a huge difference in handling and control.:D

Thank You!

Thanks to all who helped! I now have a place to start. I'll let you know if it is the ball joints!:)

Did you do a TT? The torsion bar may actually be rubbing.

No Mods other than listed in my signature. The 'squeak' is definitely coming from near the front let wheel. It's related to turning and vertical suspension movement. I'll know soon!

Lower Ball Joint!

Well, the X was in the shop today - the squeak originated in a frozen lower ball joint. That problem is fixed! :)

But for the almost 2 weeks I drove with the squeak, it looks like it damaged the rack & pinion steering. :(

Thanks again to all who posted!:chug:

Back