• Register Today It's free!

Help getting into 4WD!

justjoe032

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer XL
hey i recently got my first explorer, '96 XL. we just got some snow here in tacoma wa (beleive it or not haha) and i need help getting into 4wd, cuz we bought it without the owners manual. its a 5 speed standard transmission. can you help me put it in 4wd?

Thanks,
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions & transfer cases section. We have detailed sticky threads on the top of this section with the information that you're looking for.

should be able to put it in 4wd if its in neutral 4lo you should have to push the clutch in. others will chime in as well

Check the top side of the drivers sun visor there may be instructions there. Put trans in neutral, clutch in, then select either 4 high or 4 low. You didn't say if the transfer case was manual or electronic.

how do i tell the difference? theres a little knob that turns from 2wd, 4auto, 4low if thats what you mean
thanks

Then you want to put it into 4-auto. The Control Trac will detect slippage and automatically drop it into 4wd if needed...

The transfer case is electronic controlled. Joe Dirts advice is correct. If you put it in low then it will stay in all the time, low is not suitable for high way unless driving slow.

Back