Help! Hard start -- but idles/drives fine once it's going | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Hard start -- but idles/drives fine once it's going

cscmc1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Alright, I'm about at wit's end. I just replaced the main timing chain tensioner on my 01 ST, and while I was in doing that, I replaced the valve cover gaskets and intake gaskets (this is a job 2 truck, so just one set of intake gaskets).

Everything went back together fine, but now the truck takes 2 or 3 tries to start when cool or cold. I see no obvious vacuum leaks (and I checked the infamous PCV elbows for cracks), the TB and IAC appear clean, etc... I reseated the intake as well. Still seems to want to stumble upon first startup, when it did not do this at all before I replaced the tensioner.

What are the odds that I am seeing fuel pressure issues purely coincidentally just after the work I did? It seems to me more likely that maybe I may have overlooked or improperly hooked up a sensor or vacuum line, but what would cause hard cold starts bit not effect drivability?

I will add that upon reassembly the PCV was loose, and it appears that the "ears" that it twist-locks into in the valve cover are missing. When first I drove the truck after working on it, it twice stalled on me when letting off the gas after accelerating to about 25mph. Both times were on a very slight slight uphill, so a bit more gas was applied during those stretches, and the truck was not warmed up when it happened (either time). It restarted just fine in both cases. I replaced the PCV and RTV'd it in place (until I can determine whether I can make a proper repair), and it has not stalled since. The hard starts, however, remain.

Thoughts? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Truck, again, is an 01 and has ~150K miles on the odometer.

Thanks in advance!

No CEL (not yet, anyway -- I have only driven it a few miles while I try to work out this hard start condition). I replaced the PCV and RTV'd it in place. Is there another grommet I am unaware of?

Thanks!

Back