HELP!! Headlight Switch Gremlin: No dash, tail or parking lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Headlight Switch Gremlin: No dash, tail or parking lights

SCB2525

Reaction score
City, State
Richboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
A couple months ago, I developed an issue where the parking lamps would only work if you switched them to halfway between the parking lamp and headlight position. Then, the dash lights started to blink out randomly with the headlights on which would be fixed by fiddling with the switch a bit. Tonight, when first starting out to return home from a friend's house, I have nothing but headlights when switched in the headlights on position. No parking lamps (which should be on with the headlights), taillights or dash lights no matter how much I fiddle with the switch. With lots of fiddling, it also seems that with the ignition completely off (but I didn't try it without the key in the ignition), if I turn the headlight switch a certain way, it turns the idiot lights and gauges on the dash on and turns on the fuel pump like my key is turned to ON.

WHAT THE HECK? I really need to get some input on this as I'm going to be resigned to driving during the day only until I can fix this. Everything points to a bad switch to me except WHY would turning the switch a certain way turn the fuel pump and gauges on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll probably need to trace all the wires coming in and out of the switch and look for shorts with other wires and bad grounds. There may be a short between the parking light wires and the ignition switch wiring that's causing it to act like the key is in the Run position. With the fuse box being so close to the headlight switch it wouldn't suprise me if that's the case.

Here is a wire color chart for your year Explorer that may help you trace the wires...
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/859.html

You beat me to it lol.
I had the same issue with my 93, but keep an eye on it, I also had a loose wire which caused my switch to short out causing the problem. But I put it back together, held the wires in place and used electrical tape to keep everything together and tight.

One some switchs there is a bi-metallic circuit breaker that, when it gets hot, causes an open circuit in the dash and headlights. If it gets bent the wrong way, it breaks the circuit too soon or unpredictably. Looks like replacing the switch fixed it.

On the old switch, two of the pins for the connector were very corroded and some of the plastic at the bottom of the recess that the wiring plugs into was broken off. Also, one of the raised contacts on the rotary part of the switch (where the knob goes on) was worn down by a lot.

In any case, the new one is working well. I completely forgot that the symbols lit up, mine burned out long ago. Is it supposed to stay lit at all times the key is on? No wonder it burned out.

Back