HELP!!! How do I remove these plastic clips?!? Pics included. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! How do I remove these plastic clips?!? Pics included.

smashingtime

Reaction score
This is for a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport.
I just want to remove the front cover, I already unscrewed the small bolt screws, but I can't figure out how to remove the black plastic clips without breaking them.
Can anyone help?

Here are some pics
TOP of the clip
temporary-7.jpg

BOTTOM
temporary-6.jpg

On the top, insert flat blade screwdriver in the open slot, below the clip head (you can see damage to one of yours from a screwdriver). Twist screwdriver to lift the clip head. Pull up on clip head, but it might not be removable, or even needed to be removed, so be careful. Pull up the entire clip top to remove the whole clip.

The clip head has a "post" that spreads the lower clip "arms". Pulling up the clip head, or removing it, will allow the clip "arms" to compress together, allowing removal.

Sure sounds like I am not making any sense... :scratch:

A pack of replacement clips, found in any local auto parts store, is about 3 bucks.

On the top, insert flat blade screwdriver in the open slot, below the clip head (you can see damage to one of yours from a screwdriver). Twist screwdriver to lift the clip head. Pull up on clip head, but it might not be removable, or even needed to be removed, so be careful. Pull up the entire clip top to remove the whole clip.

The clip head has a "post" that spreads the lower clip "arms". Pulling up the clip head, or removing it, will allow the clip "arms" to compress together, allowing removal.

Sure sounds like I am not making any sense... :scratch:

Yeah, thanks so much. I was able to take them off the next day after reading your reply.
I was hoping to remove just the front bumper cover, but there were 2 screws that were impossible to reach without removing the entire bumper. After a lot of work, I was able to fasten the front plate.
Thanks again

Back