• Register Today It's free!

Help, i am at wits end, EEC

Gajeep

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
I have a 1994 Limited explorer with the 4.0L engine. First started the clatter in the engine this past august, found if I run 93 octane, It went away. Then it returned, even with 93O. Fustraiting, but not angry. I recently put on a 2" Body lift, drove it for 2 weeks, developing an exhaust leak, not to be found. Again, fustraiting. The a day or 2 later, after work my truck would not start. this angered me, but only for a second as I found that my battery wire corroded and fell apart. Bought a new clamp, started right up. Pressure gone. Then the very next day, on my way to work, I lost 4th gear. Just not there. I dunno where it whent, just gone. I start to laugh uncontrollably at my misfourtune, my mind is starting to slip. I just put a Heavy-Duty Trans that a friend of mine built in it just 1 year ago. Ok, after trying to blow it up i noticed, If you redline the rpm at 65-70mph, it forces a shift into that lost 4th gear, but don't take your foot of the gas or it is gone.

Today, the check engine light came on for a while then off. Ok, take it to a dealership, after 30$ i am told it would not communicate with their $15k scanner. So, i take it to my friends who built the trans. He owns Southeast Turbo Perf. He used his auto x-ray, nothing. By this time I notice a surging at stop, a skip and hesitation when I first give it any go juice. Then, I noticed the fuel milage has decreased by half. I then called a buddy at a chevy dealer to scan my computer. Error 17. WTF!!!! There is no error 17 for a 4.0L??????? I am turning red and pounding my head furotiously into the wall by now. Before I go crazy, is my EEC gone??? what do I do????? I am at the point where a good october fire would be better than driving it.... HELP!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gallon of 93 octane, and a match:roll:

Seriously though, did you try tightening the OD band? If you did, then the clutches are shot. Time for a new one.

Those other things, to hard to guess without scanning. I am in cumming, if you want to come way over here I'll scan it (for free)

Gallon of 93 octane, and a match:roll:

Seriously though, did you try tightening the OD band? If you did, then the clutches are shot. Time for a new one.

Those other things, to hard to guess without scanning. I am in cumming, if you want to come way over here I'll scan it (for free)

Dont offer, I will take you up on that.

I dont have personal experiance with the computer (yet) but the '91 I had, the previous owners had the same problem, no communication with the computer, with other symptoms like you describe. The fix, new computer, they are too old to repair from what I understand.
Hopefully you can find a used one somewhere, it has to be an exact match drivetrain and year, and I think also door count.
I think someone with a little more history with this problem than me should verify what I saidm, to be sure.

I dont have personal experiance with the computer (yet) but the '91 I had, the previous owners had the same problem, no communication with the computer, with other symptoms like you describe. The fix, new computer, they are too old to repair from what I understand.
Hopefully you can find a used one somewhere, it has to be an exact match drivetrain and year, and I think also door count.
I think someone with a little more history with this problem than me should verify what I saidm, to be sure.

I am currently running a computer out of a 91 XLT w/ no options. plug and play, works fine, passed smog last week.

Is your drivetrain the same, i.e, manual or auto? I can see a 91 -92 to be interchangeable, but what about a 93-94, with updated electrical and different injection system?

Is your drivetrain the same, i.e, manual or auto? I can see a 91 -92 to be interchangeable, but what about a 93-94, with updated electrical and different injection system?

both are autos. not sure about the 93-94 interchangability. could very well be different.

Assuming that ford did the same thing with the mustangs, any computer from a gen 1 should control any gen 1 unit. For example, I ran a 93 GT computer in my 89 LX mustang. The unit I ran was for a 5.0GT 5 speed, my car was a 5.0LX auto. Worked flawlessly. OBDI is much easier to work with when it comes to interchangeability. Check the numbers on the computer, let me know what they are, and I'll check my local guy. I can probably get you one for less than $100 here. I will seriously scan it for you, just let me know when you want to come. I know where dallas is, but if you want the freebie you gotta drive to me:p:

woah slow down

You installed a body lift and then noticed issues with the factory wiring.

Check the wiring leading to the diagnostics port under the hood.
If the scanner is not getting any power when you plug it in check all the fuses
Check the wiring to the diagnostics port.

The computers are very picky as there are many changes between years
If you are going to buy a replacement computer make sure you get the right one.
91 and 92 will work together
93 is alone
94 is alone
95 is alone

You cannot use a 5 speed computer to control the automatic
vise versa.

I have seen computers fail, but typically the scanner will still get power from the diagnostics port.
A bad computer will typically read many codes, at least in my experience

Junk yards around here have stacks of used PCM's, if you can find the one you need they are about $35
Same if you pull it yourself
Other places like Advance Auto who deal in used parts, are more like $65
dealers are $300+
Any dealer worth its salt could hook your truck up to a break out box and confirm the truck is fine, PCM is bad

I second the wiring part. I notice you put a new clamp on the battery cable when it died. There's several feet of battery cable left that may be on it's way out too. For what it's worth, you could explain a lot of what you see on a bad ground.

The only computer I ever saw die was an early OBDII model. It died while driving, and screwed up things so bad it wasn't even funny - white smoke, the works. I had to spend hours cleaning gasonline off the outside AND inside the car. New PCM and it ran another 100k. I don't know if they all die a loud obnoxious death or not, but I had the impression you would know when a PCM died.

Ben

I have checked the battery cables, (fine) replaced them. The scanner is turning on, it displays "communicating with sytem (or computer)". Then it displays the "unable to communicate" message. The problems did not start immediatly after installation. It was about 3-4 weeks after. It did start immediatly after the battery post/clamp happened. I am a electrician by trade, and can identify wire damage. Yes, there was heat damage to the battery wires, but only those normally found if any wire had a loose connection. Wire has been replaced. Also, along the fire wall all connections were good. None of them display any signs of irregular wear, or fatigue. I guess I will be planning a trip to forsyth soon to get help with my problem. However, I am going to try pricing the computer around here first.

WHenever you're ready, just give me an email heads up. From what I have asked and read, any computer 91-94 will work. They are cheap and readily available. We have a pullapart 15 minutes away in buford where they have several explorers on any given day.

any computer 91-94 will work

The computers are very picky as there are many changes between years
If you are going to buy a replacement computer make sure you get the right one.
91 and 92 will work together
93 is alone
94 is alone
95 is alone

91 & 92 have a single 02 sensor and a map sensor
93 has no map sensor, dual 02 sensors and no EGR
94 is same as 94 but with EGR
5 speed and auto trans are different

You need to match the computer you buy to the calibration code on the PCM in the truck

OK, I found a used computer for my 94 limited, I did have to get a specific computer that matched my ID#. The 4x4 limited models were computer specific, unsure why but I forked out the $200. for a used one from pull-a-part junk yard. This fixed everything except the transmission, hey Stang 99? Can you help with this, if not thats cool. I really need someone to walk me through on how to rebuild it, so I can start doing itself.

I did notice that I can force it to change gears by redlining the motor near 80mph. But as soon as I take my foot off the gas, bye bye 4th.
Could this be a vacume problem?? or actuator??

Back