Help - I can't find PVC valve on my 98 EB V8 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - I can't find PVC valve on my 98 EB V8 AWD

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I was trying to find the PCV valve. I searched everywhere behind the intake as everybody says in this thread. But it doesn't seem to me that there is anything I can pull up. Everything is very tight in that small area.

I do find a pipe which is not connected to anything at its end. I pull it up and it looks to me that there is a valve at the end. I gorgot taking picture on SUnday and will take a picture today. But I thougth that PCV value is connected with pipes at its both end. It won't be open ended.

I have PO153 DTC showing up and I am not sure whether it is related with this or not.

Does anyone know where the PCV valve is on a 98 EB 5.0L AWD? I have the Hayne service book and it indicates that it is behind the intake. But it doesn't have picture of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your pcv valve is on the back of the block directly under the large plug on the fire wall. i found it easiest to get to if you unclip the plug from its holder and you should be able to move it enough to get your arm in there.behind the lower intake.

as for the code. don't know what that is off the top of my head.

Do you know how deep the valve is down there from the top of the intake block? Can you see it or you need to feel it? Is there a clip yo uneed to deal with before you can pull it up?

you have to go the distance of the upper and lower intake manifold. it takes about half my arm length. but that just me. it should just pull out when you feel for it.

Pvc valve lol your x doesn't have one as of your pcv valve blazin8556 has your answer

OK I corrected my first post, 'PVC' -> 'PCV'

I still can't find PCV valve for my 98 EB 5L V8. I did searched almost everything under the large connector blob at the firewall. I searched almost everything behind the intake. I can only find one pipe I can pull up and I attached two pictures here. The end of the pipe doesn't go anywhere as shown in the picture.

I think that I need to change the PCV valve because it has nover been changed. So please help me identifying it.

5628863618_c5f20fd925_b.jpg

5628280249_6970edd30d_b.jpg

That looks like the end of your pcv valve staring you in the face to me. Now you have to find its hole.

Isn't PCV valve connected at the both end? This end is not connected to anything. The rounf button in the middle is very loose. I can push it in and si don;t know what it is used.

The big end of the PCV is SUPPOSED to plugged in here:

Attachments

• edelbrocklower.jpg
    edelbrocklower.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 484

Isn't PCV valve connected at the both end? This end is not connected to anything. The rounf button in the middle is very loose. I can push it in and si don;t know what it is used.

if it rattles then its fine if you move it and it stays then its no good. i can't remember where the other end of the hose is attached to. when i first started answering i had just reinstalled my upper intake after replacing an injector. i slept since then. lol. if its rattling just put it in the hole that was circled in the pic

Oh, so this is the PCV valve? I got confused? Did I just pull it up? I need to see whether it rattles or not. At 106K, it is probably good idea to replace it? What should I replace? Is it the big end shown in the picture?

I remember that about a month ago I took a look at it and I didn't realize that it is the PCV valve. So I let it be there status for about a month. Did it do anything harm to the truck?

grab the big end and tug and twist a little and it should come free of the hose. its just pushed in the hose and has a single barb holding it in. it could have been out of the hole a while or you may have found it and knocked it out without realizing it. when i first got my truck this little bugger gave me hell. cause i had no idea where it came from. i was on top of the engine looking with a light (hood was off for a blown head gasket rebuild (had planned on pulling the motor and replacing it ))and feeling around and when i took the connector off the firewall it was super easy then. you have to be a contortionist to work on a v8 ex. lol.

So after I replace it I need to plug it back in where Spdrcer34 showed in the picture above. Can I feel the hole on the case easily?

A further question. If I do seaform, do I just pull the seaform in the hose after I took the PCV valve out?

yes to above questions.

A further question. If I do seaform, do I just pull the seaform in the hose after I took the PCV valve out?

as i said yes. i would do it a little slow and you may need help from someone working the throttle or something. havn't done this to a ford yet. but did it to my blazer and it wasn't too happy about it and kept shutting off. do a search on here and you should find threads on how to do it on these trucks. i have already run across a bunch of them.

The code your getting involves the oxygen sensor upstream from the catalytic converter on Bank 2. This would most likely be either a bad sensor or an exhaust leak on the drivers side before the sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you all for the answers. I will replace the OS2 on Bank2 upstream and I will try to check and replace the PCV valve.

I still don't understand one thing. If the PCV valve has not been on where it should be for a month and the truck ran well. Then what it is used for? I somehow understand that it is used to recycle the unburned fuel (?) back to the engine. But if it is not connected, what does the engine do about those unburned fuel if my understandng is true.

Back