Help! I found a Dana 44 and some parts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! I found a Dana 44 and some parts...

Dweeberman

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Heights, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey all, i found a dana 44 (high pinion) from a 78 F150 with disc brakes 3:50 (i will change to 4:56) gears comes with radius arms and new track bar bushings and new radius arm wedges. also comes with brand new superflex 5.5 coils, Solid DOM tubing. he drilled and tapped to extend stock radius arms 17 inches..they just thread on. Heims and heim mounts...all for $300.00. tell me if this is good please...full width not shortened either. He does not have the coil buckets but i can get those. i will attach pictures once i can get them uploaded. Please tell me if this sounds like a good deal...thanks!!!

**EDIT**PICTURES NOW**I APOLOGIZE FOR THE BIG PICTURES**
DANA44.jpg

DANA44SPRINGS.jpg

DANA44-2.jpg

DANA44-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy it. The fact that your going to get more drive shaft clearance and the pinion is engaging on the strong side of the gears makes it worth it alone.
Going High steer if you get it ?

That year may just have the 1/2" axle tubes also? I know the 79 did come with the larger diameter tubes.

Yea i am buying half of the stuff tonight then the rest next week as i dont have all the funds (i am sure we all know how that goes...). In regards to the tubing size...i have no clue and i do not believe the toerh guy does as well. He has not taken it apart at all...just had purchased some 17" extensions that thread on to the RA's and some new 5.5" coils...and new bushings for the RA's. i am not really that mechanically inclined so i will be building the axle for a while...just to learn. this will be my first one that i have touched or taken parts off of besides doing a leaf spring lift on my 89 k5 (which works awesomely...if thats even a word). Am i going high steer? Well if i knew the difference i would probably say yes as it sounds like i should lol...i have not searched much on that topic as i just found the axle by surprise...and figured lets start somewhere so down the road (probably next year) i can do the whole swap...heck i dont even know anyone who can weld near me and i have nothing besides wrenches, sockets, and one screwdirver that disappears everytime i need it. I plan on teaching myself through turning the wrench and going through the forums (so far Stic-O's build is the one i am reading about as it seems much closer to the style i will be building.) I live in an apartment complex so the work i can do now is VERY limited. I want to buy the big parts now that i know will be needed and then slowly getting the axle prepped. No time frame on how long and or when i will be able to start but gotta start somewhere. I plan on doing mostly bolt on stuff from JDuff and other various sources (if need be). Yea that is all my brain can thik of at the moment!

IMO, it looks like a very fair deal.
What was the guy you're buying it from going to put it on? I ask because the stock length arms on that axle are much longer than what's on your Ex now, they are a good length as is, without those extensions,
Also, are you planning to use it full width, or narrow it to match your truck. I think it's the 78-79 D44s that have cast wedges instead of welded, making it very tough to narrow.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

There's enough info on the above link to make your head spin including High Steer. Unless your going to do some serious off road I wouldn't worry too much about. I have it on mine to keep the steering link that goes from knuckle to knuckle higher up off the ground so as not to bang into rocks.
Also helps in reducing the angle of the drag link which helps in controlling the evil bump steer. What's that you ask? Just search the link below.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
Warning: This site is a little rough on some newbies if you ask certain questions ha ha. But you can search away until your hearts content.
Spend some time learning all you can about the geometry of the links including relationship of the drag and steering links.

Well this was more than i bargained for...i was buying these for sure and just so happened to have an unexpected bill come in :( so it was a no on these and i am kicking my self in the rear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been reading through a lot of these SAS builds and just sucks that i had to pass on these because of a $300 Vet bill..either way i will be doing more research and i might just keep the explorer with a basic BL/TT/Shackle lift and buy a project vehicle since this is my DD and i need it. Might go with an older yota or samurai...hopefully i can get my hands on a bronco II though :) :) Preferably some sort of project with a front axle already. Thank you for your input thus far guys! I truly appreciate the help thus far :)

Sorry to hear about your bad luck on the unexpected bill bro, I know how it is to have to take care of the pets first. I was wondering if you wouldnt mind passing along the awesome find though? I am in the middle of preparing for the SAS build and would like to take advantage of the sweet deal you came accross. I live in Bakersfield, but wouldnt mind driving a bit to get the parts. Let me know bud.

Sometimes life throws us a curve ball, but glad you put your pet first, Cheers to ya.
I bet you've already learned a lot just in researching which means once you do get going on this Bii project you can come on over to our bii forum. Great bunch of guys over there, except that weird Mod guy ha ha.
Seems there is someone on our site that can use it.

Yes i just sent him the link but also will put it below...Any of those willing to travel to Sacramento might be luck to find a crap load of wagonner axles.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2886871285.html

This is the link for the setup above but he told me had someone else wanting to buy it but that is all he said. he didnt delete his posting so hopefully he still has it :)

off topic but my 33x10.5 BFG KM2's come in this week :) yay for that much!!

Back