• Register Today It's free!

HELP I need A4ld overdrive fix

JamesEx92XL

Reaction score
City, State
Kirkland, Washington USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' Explorer XL
Okay my transmission was great and then when I would get on freeway and floor it, instead of kicking down a gear it would pop out of gear completely, rev up, and then I would have to wait for r's to go down before being able to go again, only happened a handful of times. Then on my way back from a trip I was goin downhill and I heard a grinding, I pulled over slowed down, let cars pass, got back on road and no problem. One week later my overdrive just goes out, I put it in od and it just sits there like it's in neutral. ALl bad transmissions ive had have at least tried to move while in gear. I think it might be an easy fix, i still drive it but i don't have od and no other gears are affected. Please tell me i can be fixed without $2,500.
92' ford explorer, 4x4. 4 liter v6:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the shift cable might be slack causing it not to engage the right gear.

My step father purchased a rebuilt A4LD from a supplier in Canada for $875 shipped. Just had to install it after that.

Otherwise I have nothing less to add here. Not much of a trans person since my A4LD runs perfect @ 206K miles.

P.S. I never "floor it"

Okay my transmission was great and then when I would get on freeway and floor it, instead of kicking down a gear it would pop out of gear completely, rev up, and then I would have to wait for r's to go down before being able to go again, only happened a handful of times. Then on my way back from a trip I was goin downhill and I heard a grinding, I pulled over slowed down, let cars pass, got back on road and no problem. One week later my overdrive just goes out, I put it in od and it just sits there like it's in neutral. ALl bad transmissions ive had have at least tried to move while in gear. I think it might be an easy fix, i still drive it but i don't have od and no other gears are affected. Please tell me i can be fixed without $2,500.
92' ford explorer, 4x4. 4 liter v6:)

The grinding is a bad thing.

With this tranny you should be doing preventative maintenance. Bands need adjusting, the kick-down cable is easy to adjust. As soon as you have a problem (or before) if you were to rebuild (or replace the VB with a rebuilt one) and do basic maintenance you would make your trans last a whole lot longer. Where you had some grinding I would look in the pan before going too much further. There may be some very unpleasant surprises in there (such as your OD band anchor).

There any number of problems you may have, that grinding did some damage plain and simple.

Start reading in the transmission section and there are ATSG manuals in this link. Study them.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310331#post2680039

Good luck!

The a4ld is a sorry excuse for an suv transmission, plain and simple. It was built to handle exactly what the 4.0 puts out, nothing more, which makes it very touchy over time as things start to degrade like bands, gears and seals.

The grinding is a bad sign, more than likely something has gone boom. The OD gear is one of the weakest points of this transmission and when it goes out the rest of the tranny isn't far behind.

So the short version is: No, this is not going to be a cheap fix and a rebuild is probably going to be in your near future. At the very least drop the pan and see what, if any, metal pieces have decided to visit your ATF pan. Tightening the bands may help your 1,2,3rd gears but if you can keep turning the wrench on the OD band stud you are going to have to look at dropping the tranny.

The a4ld is a sorry excuse for an suv transmission, plain and simple. It was built to handle exactly what the 4.0 puts out, nothing more, which makes it very touchy over time as things start to degrade like bands, gears and seals.

The grinding is a bad sign, more than likely something has gone boom. The OD gear is one of the weakest points of this transmission and when it goes out the rest of the tranny isn't far behind.

So the short version is: No, this is not going to be a cheap fix and a rebuild is probably going to be in your near future. At the very least drop the pan and see what, if any, metal pieces have decided to visit your ATF pan. Tightening the bands may help your 1,2,3rd gears but if you can keep turning the wrench on the OD band stud you are going to have to look at dropping the tranny.

Rebuild just cost me $2300,that's with the R&R and a 3 year,75,000 mile warranty.1 year on labor.

I could have saved the $$ on the R&R but.....I'm old and lazy.:D

It's all about who you know and how much is in your pockets. I know a tech at my local dealer who rebuilds transmissions. He told me just pay for the parts and he would do mine, on the clock......

My quoted engine rebuild, from a local top race car engine builder quoted me at $800 on the engine rebuild counting port and polish and boring it over. Not sure if I'll go all the way or not. Planned for next spring at tax time :)

Who you know. I can't help it if the engine builder likes my mother ;)

Back