Help! I need help how to remove rear brake calipers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! I need help how to remove rear brake calipers

dozerd9

Reaction score
I have 1996 Ford Explorer. One of the rear calipers is seized. I have the caliper removed from the rotor already. Just wondering how do I plug the bolt when you remove the brake line so it doesn't leak out the brake fluid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would let the fluid drain into a container for disposal, because at this point in time you should replace the fluid anyway. When replacing the fluid ALWAYS start with the right rear, left rear, right front, and finish with the left front.

Plug it with a match or another soft wood contraption.
I don't let too much air in... is asking for trouble.

Leave it connected to the old caliper until your ready to swap it out.
Simple, really...

Simple, really...

this would be my suggestion as well.

Simple, really...

I use a pair of vise grips to clamp off the flexible line as close to the claliper as possible. Put them on before you take line off old caliper; fill new caliper with brake fluid before you screw line into new caliper; release vise grips after line is installed and tightened. Still have to bleed, but almost impossible for air to get above vise grips. BTY, I second the advice to drain and replace brake fluid if it's old - above process only necessary if you decide not to do that.

I use a pair of vise grips to clamp off the flexible line as close to the claliper as possible. Put them on before you take line off old caliper; fill new caliper with brake fluid before you screw line into new caliper; release vise grips after line is installed and tightened. Still have to bleed, but almost impossible for air to get above vise grips. BTY, I second the advice to drain and replace brake fluid if it's old - above process only necessary if you decide not to do that.

thanks! That's what I did I used a vice grip to clamp the hose. I also wraped electrical tape on the vice grip so the teeth won't damage the hose.

FYI, lisle makes little hose clamps for this purpose, I got mine from rockauto for $5 or so. Been using them while doing brakes for years.

thanks! That's what I did I used a vice grip to clamp the hose. I also wraped electrical tape on the vice grip so the teeth won't damage the hose.

It doesn't matter that you used tape. Squishing that multilayered hose till it closes completly is not smart. A plug of soft wood like I suggested above is way better.

inside_brake_hose.jpg

It doesn't matter that you used tape. Squishing that multilayered hose till it closes completly is not smart. A plug of soft wood like I suggested above is way better.

makes a lot of sense and nice pic! Put that in the category of a picture is worth a thousand words.

Back