help! i need to strap a bed on my explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help! i need to strap a bed on my explorer!

Okay this is going to sound really stupid but i need help, i need to move a HUGE (california king) mattress,two box springs and the frame,im planning on putting my seats down and putting the taken down frame in there,but the mattress's will clearly not fit,so my question is what kind of straps do i need to buy?any recomendations will do,i just dont want to have to tie it with rope (boy scouts didnt teach me a thing) pictures of people towing beds on top of there explorers might help too, I am so helpless when it comes to this and i need help!! please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...^^^He beat me to it...

...Be sure to get some pics of this too...:popcorn:

Alright, ill probably head down to walmart tonight.Im not doing it untill friday,i have to wait for this damn rain to stop.Ill take some pictures too!

...Harbor freight has a better selection, price, and a multi pack of 5 for cheap if you have one near you..:dunno:

Yeah i have one not to far from me,ill check them out instead of wally world, how many do you think ill need?

...Disclaimer: The driver is responsible for his load...;)

...I'm not sure but if only the mattress is going on top, I would get the 5 pack of 15" straps...Hopefully that would be long enough...Just remember to tie down the matress good as they lift and bend easily going down the road...

get at least 2 with a minimum 15' of slack, more is better you can always wind it up, make sure they have WLL (working load limits) listed on them of at least 1,000 lbs.

im going to be putting the mattress and two box springs on the top,

...Just my opinion but that doesn't sound like to safe of a load...I would rent one of those $19.95 dollar a day pick ups or box van...It would be so much safer and easier...Just my .02...

My Queen pretty much took up the whole roof + on my old 4runner. I think you need to find a trailer, friend with a truck, or rent the truck from Lowes for $20. Thats a lot of wind resistance to put on those straps

yeah lowes has a better price than uhal, with lowes its 20.00 for the first 75 minutes, and i replace the gas, uhal was 19.95 and .59 cents per mile and i replace the gas

I've had a queen mattress and box spring on the roof of my 2 door from Richmond to Raleigh with no problems.

I ran one normal size ratchet strap across the middle and one large strap from the front bumper to the rear. Had no problems.

pics? and do you have a roof rack? if not you can run straps thru the open side rear windows, and one from the moonroof thru to the back window. I dunno, I have a roof rack and a futon. my next move is only a block so I have no worries.

I already moved it, i just strapped the matress to the top,the two box springs and the frame fit in the bed, i just took tow straps and put them through each window and strapped them down as tight as they would go and took some rope and tied a tarp to the top (bugs love highways) I took some pictures when we got it to storage,ill upload them tommorrow and post them on here,

pics? and do you have a roof rack?

I had been looking for a pic and found one on an OLD sd card. No roof rack obviously. This is the only pic I have, it was back on 2003 or so.....

100_2170.jpg

I'm about to try this. I'm wondering if the roof rack is a disadvantage. The way I am thinking about it, the roof rack allows wind under the mattress. This wind causes lift on the mattress. So I'm thinking maybe I should remove the rack. Also I believe the factory rack says like 100 lbs max..... Feedback? I like looking at KPTs' setup.

Back