HELP! I'm in my garage...

SGR1600

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Chappaqua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4 SOHC
I'm in my garage, I've got the passenger's side rear jacked up, and I can't get the bolts of the stock shackle! I'm pulling with all my strength, and I even put some liquid wrench on it and it won't even budge. What's up????:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get yourself a large breaker bar and the right 1/2 drive socket, 12 point if you've got it.

The longer the lever, the more leverage you have, careful you can pull the truck right off the jackstand.
If that doesnt work a 4" grinder and trip to the hardware store for new grade 8-10 bolts will make short work of those suckers. ON a job like this I hardly ever re-use the stock hardware, but then my trucks got 240K miles so those suckers are not coming off easy......

When you know you are going to tackle bolts like these, 3-4 days ahead start using the liquid wrench and let it soak for days, also always be prepared to cut or replace, especially if you have to be at work mon morning........ hehehehe even a "simple" adjustement can turn into a week long affair...........

i had the same problem... the bolts didnt want to come out so i got a BIG hammer and drove the bolts out and that was that... bought new grade 8 hardware... at least you have a garage!! i had to install my shackles sitting out in the cold snow!

If you have the Warrior shackles...they should have new bolts included...so cutting them if you have to isn't a problem. I just slipped a piece of metal pipe over the handle of my socket to use as a breaker bar and they came right off.

When I did my lift, I had to cut and replace the bolts, it add a extra day to the lift installation and about $8.00 to the cost of the lift, well worth it. :D

I finally just cut the suckers...:D The shackles are GREAT! This weekend: the TT and AAL.

glad to hear it worked.... yeah, when i got my shackles, they had their own hardware... i had to reuse some of the stock hardware though, i managed to strip some of the new stuff.... i dont know how, maybe too much power....damn steak!

I had the same problem, I used a propane torch to heat up the area and that expanded the metal which finally let the bolt out. I tryed for four hous befor the torch and about 5 min. after good luck

Back