• Register Today It's free!

Help in identifiying parts

SMR

Reaction score
City, State
Lisbon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
On the 31st last week, smoke started coming out from under the hood of my First Gen Ford Explorer. I could smell something burning, like plastic or rubber. The smoke came out after driving about 2-3 miles and having the car showing some struggle signs.

I called my local Ford service shop to have it checked out, yesterday they called me back with the computer diagnostics. They say there are leaks in the exhaust pipe leading all the way under the hood. They also gave me the below diagram identifying the damaged parts.

The problem is, the first generation is too out of date for the parts to be ordered by them and this is a model that is not sold or manufactured here in Portugal. This means I have to outsource the parts myself. However, I'm not very knowledgeable about cars and so I'm writing to ask anyone with some patience and knowledge to help me identify the parts I need by name ?

Here is the diagaram they gave me:

Written in Portuguese, on the side, it reads something like "The inside of the catalysts are loose" and "Many leaks throughout the exhaust pipe"

I really appreciate any help in advance, I'm personally kind of restless with all of this as I used my truck daily and have a deep fond for it...

Thank you !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like just the basic parts of the exhaust system, from the engine to the muffler.

1 - Exhaust Y-pipe assembly
2 - Exhaust Y-pipe to exhaust manifold flange bolt
3 - Catalytic converter (comes as a complete assembly)
6 - Muffler pipe to catalytic converter flange bolt (spring loaded to allow the exhaust system to flex on the rubber mounts)
7 - Intermediate exhaust pipe (in front of muffler)
8 - Flange gasket (seals the connection between converter outlet and muffler pipe inlet)
9 - Flange gasket (seals the connection between Y-pipe outlet and converter inlet)
10 - Nut for Y-pipe flange
12 - Nut with holder for mounting intermediate pipe flange (nut comes with the spring-loaded bolt (6) if you buy one aftermarket, usually)

You can of course just get the parts through the Ford service shop, but you might want to look at aftermarket replacements. Several major exhaust companies make replacement catalytic converter assembles for the Explorer, plus you can always have an exhaust shop do custom work and put in a single 3-way converter instead of the two different converters like stock.

You can also get custom exhaust work done after the catalytic converter to replace the muffler rather than buying stock parts, or you can get aftermarket pipes that bolt on and replace all the factory stuff. You can

I don't think you need to replace the Y-pipe unless it is damaged or rusted through, that may be the hardest part to get.

Also it sounds like the engine may have overheated, if so then the exhaust system replacement may be only a precaution. The exhaust might be fine if the thermostat/coolant is replaced, or whatever caused the engine to overheat/smoke.
If the catalytic converter overheats, usually that does damage it and it needs to be replaced, but replacing the entire exhaust seems extreme unless it is old and rusty and just falling apart and needed to be fixed.

Anime, thanks so much for your thorough reply. It was an excellent insight. I really appreciate it !

You wouldn't happen to know a good after market replacements site in europe ? Or which one would you recommend from the US ?

As for the engine, I think its alright for now. The smoke didn't come directly from the engine and i didn't really push it. Besides driving to the autoshop and back (about 3 miles total) and I didn't notice struggling. But a cloud of smoke from the hood just invades the habitat and covers the whole front end of the car when I park it and turn it off...

I'm also going to check out a local exhaust auto shop to get their opinion. Usually everybody gets scared when they first glimpse my "tank" explorer :D

I have no idea where the best place to get parts for an Explorer in Europe would be, but we do have a forum for international Explorer owners:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

There are subforums for UK Explorers, they would probably know of European sources for parts.

I use places like rockauto.com and even Amazon.com. Shipping overseas is costly though, especially for big, heavy parts, and I'm not sure Amazon stocks Explorer parts over in Europe. Maybe.

The exhaust shop might be able to order what you need as well, though you may want to compare prices with whatever you can find online.

The good part is, even though prefab exhaust pipes would probably cost less if available, it's certainly possible for any good exhaust shop to make new pipes or fit a universal converter and even a muffler if needed.

It'd be a good idea to have the exhaust shop look at it, and if you can, have them let you look at the pipes under the vehicle with them and point out the rusted parts and whatever leaks/holes there are. Otherwise, get under the vehicle sometime with a flashlight and check it out. If the front Y-pipe isn't rusted badly with holes in it, you might just replace the other rusted parts with new ones. It might be easier to just replace everything, but it could also save you money if you keep the catalytic converter and just have them make a new Y-pipe in front, and replace the front/rear muffler pipes, and the muffler as well, if it needs it.

If you do have them make new pipes, consider using 2.25 inch (57mm) diameter exhaust tubing for the muffler and muffler pipes, instead of the stock 2.0 inch (51mm) tubing, as it does flow better. The 91-92 Explorers actually used 2.25 inch exhaust pipes, the 93-94 has smaller 2.0 inch pipe, likely for lower cost.

Thank you Anime for another very thorough reply. I'll get back once I check out the exhaust auto shop.

Cheers

Back