Help indentifying a small part from my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help indentifying a small part from my Explorer

xaustie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base 3.5L
I own a 2012 Ford Explorer, base model. Got in my car the other day and found a small black plastic piece sitting on the carpet at my feet. I presume it fell out from somewhere behind the driver's dash but I do not know that for sure. It is a FoMoCo part numbered #DG13-1522609-ABW. I figured I could Google or lookup on FordParts but no luck! Everything seems to be working OK but these kind of things really bother me and I want to put it back where it belongs. Thanks ahead of time - I am sure someone on these boards till know what this is!

1ifqf6.jpg

30hy9zl.jpg

avrmm9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also tried another parts website with the same results.

Peter

I really hate how FoMoCo does that. I think the part numbers are pre-production numbers or something that end up changing. I hate it so much.

I wonder if it was some pre-assembly part. Comes on a supplier part and is suppose to be removed? Maybe has a part number because it is on the full bill of materials for sub module. Would explain why no hits in google even when you just search the middle section.

I did do an Internet search and got one hit. It came back with a Ford parts site but no 'hits' other than the company so it was recognized as a Ford part.

Peter

Pretty sure that's a muffler bearing adjuster bracket...

...I could be wrong. ;)

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far. The part is intriguing because the size and shape but especially the end with the "tread" on it make it look like a button or some other part that wants to be "pushed". It looks like it might be a lever of some sort. @sheltonfilms suggestion that it might be a pre-assembly part is a real possibility.

I have the same issue with my 2012 Taurus (same platform as Explorer). The same part fell out from behind the interior door latch/handle in both front and back driver side doors. Not sure if it is related to latch recall or not.

May be side specific with that "L" mark?

I just had the same part fall off my car near the back driver side door. It has an L on it as well. I cannot tell what it’s for.

I just had the same part fall off my car near the back driver side door. It has an L on it as well. I cannot tell what it’s for.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Since no one's vehicle has fallen apart because if this item, I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

Peter

Kind of looks like something that might snap in to secure a door actuator rod to a latch mechanism.

Kind of looks like something that might snap in to secure a door actuator rod to a latch mechanism.
It was in an area of the floor where it looked like it fell off the door. Ford had a recall related to door latches. I wonder if this is an old part left in during the recall repair or part of the new latch. I’ll bring it to the dealer during my next service appointment and see if they have any insight.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Since no one's vehicle has fallen apart because if this item, I don't think it is anything to be concerned about.

Peter
It's more than just someone's vehicle falling apart that may be of concern. If it is part of the door latch mechanism, it could be important. Say someone is in an accident and the fact that this piece was missing caused a door rod to pop off and prevented the occupant from opening their door and exiting the vehicle in a safe and timely manner, or prevented emergency personnel from opening the door to assist...

Any time someone has their car serviced and finds parts lying inside of it, it is always best to return to the dealer and document the issue in case there is a problem later or to establish liability if something unfortunate should happen.

I agree that it should be brought to the dealer's attention that the part was found inside the vehicle. I've checked the door and latch components on the AutoNation website and did not see anything that resembled the pictured part.

Peter

I have found the exact part laying on my floor. Best guess is that it was from the seat, but it doesn't match or appear on any diagrams. Could be an assembly alignment piece that doesn't always get removed. I have had it laying around for a year or more, so I guess it doesn't perform a critical function. I also found a broken screw one time on the floor beneath the driver seat. After taking apart the seat for the lumbar repair and not seeing any screws missing I decided it was probably left over during assembly, perhaps it snapped and they replaced it but couldn't find the broken piece.

I had this same part pop out of the driver rear door from the inside door lever yesterday. I took the door panel off today and found the door lever spring inside at the bottom.
After looking at the plastic part and the door lever I found a channel that it fit in the back of the door lever and right where the tip of the red arrow is in the photo below there was a crack in the chrome plastic ridge. I believe the black plastic piece was part of the recall Ford used for the fix on this vehicle.

upload_2018-9-3_14-44-24.png

To fix this I glued it in the black plastic item in that channel.
upload_2018-9-3_14-56-44.png

I let it dry, put the spring back in and then re-assemble the door panel and everything worked like normal.
Hope this helps.

12 Explorer door lever 1.png

Back