Help installing the EMERGENCY BREAK PADs????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help installing the EMERGENCY BREAK PADs?????

96_explorer.com

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TeXaS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Hey all..
I just finally installed new rear disk rotors and break pads and now I want to install the "EMERGENCY BREAK PADS"..... but how do you take them off??

So to remove / install the EMERGENCY BREAK PADS will I have to remove the Rear Axel off/out??

If any1 can help that be cool... or directions on how to do it,.,., please post.

I have an 1996 Explorer with ABS and the rear breaks are rear disk... but the emergency break pads are in a different area...

all info or guide to remove would be greatly appriciated.
:)

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to pull out the axle shafts on both sides. If you have not done something like this before I suggest you get a pro to do it. You have to partially disassemble the differential to remove the C clip holding the axle shaft. If you feel capable I will explain how to do it.

Humm.. so its kinda complicated then???

It looks like I might need some better tools to do it. If I have to remove the axel... there is no way I am gonna mess with that.

I know the PADS are only $7.00 at my local auto part store. I wonder how much an pro shop will charge to install them... thats the question...... arrggghh

If you have an open rear diff, it's real easy to get those axle shafts out. It if's LS then it will be a little more tricky to get all those little pieces back in just right when you're done.

I changed them on my 96 2 years ago and did not remove axles just the rotors and make sure when you get them on adjust them until you cant turn the rotor by hand and back them off 8 turns. Hope this helps!

Originally posted by Aaron B.
I changed them on my 96 2 years ago and did not remove axles just the rotors and make sure when you get them on adjust them until you cant turn the rotor by hand and back them off 8 turns. Hope this helps!

Aaron

Well I did remove the rear rotors... but it did not seem you can just take off the rear emergency breaks at all w/o removinin the axel.

Does it make an difference since I have the Eddie Bauer Edition??

Thanks

My Mechanic pulled out the axle. He said that was the only way to replace the emergency brakes. With regards to the differentials, he unbolted two(?) bolts and removed the C shape stopper (washer like) connected to the axles on both side to pull it out. That also give us an offurtunity to replce the fluids.:hammer:

Originally posted by Nonoy
My Mechanic pulled out the axle. He said that was the only way to replace the emergency brakes. With regards to the differentials, he unbolted two(?) bolts and removed the C shape stopper (washer like) connected to the axles on both side to pull it out. That also give us an offurtunity to replce the fluids.:hammer:

Ok,, i figured thats how it is going to be if I was to do it. well.........it needs to be done... so now I am off to get crackin!!

thanks

Uh, it's more than two bolts. You have to remove the spider gears as well. Good luck.

I don't know but mine is a 96 xlt with 15 inch rims but I did not remove my axles! I just unhooked the linkage halfway back on the cable to loosen up the brake adjusters come to think of it I might have unbolted the backplate and tilted it to remove them completely but I never removed the axles at all.

Back