Help - Is My Explorer Toast? Chain Blew Out Valve Cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Is My Explorer Toast? Chain Blew Out Valve Cover

porta1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey all - hoping someone can give me an idea if my explorer is fixable or not.
It is a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport - 4.0 SOHC. 185k miles, last oil change in October, about 4k miles ago.

My wife was driving the car and she heard a thunk and it died on her. Coasted to the side of the road, so we had it towed home. It won't start, but it does attempt to turn over (though it doesn't sound "right". sort of chugs in one tone, without any cyclical rhythm that you'd expect while cranking).

Before this incident, it should be noted that the car was making a TON of top end clatter - I was waiting for the weather to clear up to look into it, but I guess luck was not our our side.

Upon inspection I can see that part of the valve cover on the back side of the engine, right up against the firewall, has blown out - and there is what I gather is a camshaft/timing chain clearly visible through the hole.

Dipstick indicates there is oil in the engine still, so it hasn't all blown out, but I can see oil stains where it has sprayed out...

I've spent hours researching and reading posts and from what I can tell, I must have lost a chain tensioner/guide, or the chain slipped, or some other object got in there and caused the hole.

What is not clear to me is:
1. Is this a DIY fix involving just replacing the valve cover and tightening/replacing the chain?
2. Is pulling the engine required to fix this? (the car is only worth probably 1000-1500 while running, so pulling/replacing the engine is likely a no go for us, as it would likely be very expensive? I do not have access to an engine hoist/mount)
2. should I bother doing a cold compression test on all 6 cylinders? I have a compression gauge, but if we can tell that the engine is blown I'd rather not take the time

Thoughts? Is this car junkyard bound or can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably one of the chain tensioners was shot out trough your valve cover.
I don't think that 4.0 SOHC it is an interference engine - if yes, then expect to have some bent valves. If no, than you can just fix the chains and cover.

You need to remove the engine from bay to access the rear chain. If you do the rear, might as well you do the front chain too...

Sounds like either the guide grenaded, or the chain broke and tossed itself through the valve cover.

I would not bother with a compression test at this point. You could pull the valve cover for further inspection, but it is extremely likely you'll have to pull the engine (or drop the transmission) to repair it.

The 4.0 SOHC is an interference engine. You'll need to remove that head check for damage to the valves and pistons.

If the chain broke, you can't properly check compression on that side anyway.

it's pretty much toast. very expensive to repair and will quickly exceed the vehicles value.

You can put an engine in, I saw one last month 87K for $699.

I Have a 4.0l SOHC For sale with 67,000 miles but I live in new jersey ...

Yep if the rest is very good ..swap motors with a lower millage one would be my thought also.

Yes, losing the rear chain/guides, you have smashed the valves on that side. The engine has to come out to fix it, and it requires a number of specialty tools to put it back together. There will be valve damage, but if you are lucky there won't be significant piston damage. It will need the head repaired, all three or four chains and guides replaced, and everything re-timed and re-assembled. There will be debris from the chain guides throughout the oil pan and likely in the oil pump pickup. You have to drop the pan and get all those chunks removed (as well as from other areas they get stuck) so that they don't starve the engine for oil.

If you do this yourself, you will have at least a grand into parts and tools, plus your time for the labor and probably some machine shop time. At a mechanic, it will probably be a couple grand. The cheapest option is to find another engine to swap in there. Otherwise, you might get $500 or so scrap value.

thanks for all of the input everyone.

I'm calling around salvage yards now - seems that I can get $350-$500 for the truck as scrap, depending on where I take it. Have also posted it to CL on the off chance someone wants it, either for parts or for dropping an engine in

Sub question - is it worth pulling the catalytic converters off? (this truck has two right?) I know those can range from anywhere from 20 bucks to upwards of 250... anyone have any experience with the stock ford cats and their salvage worth? How do I tell how much they might be worth?

Thanks,

Isnt it illegal to resell catalytic converters?

Back