• Register Today It's free!

Help... Is my front diff bad?

abomb

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer V8-AWD
I recently bought a 98 Mountaineer V8 AWD. It's a nice truck, but when I bought it the truck was missing the front driveshaft. I figured the previous owner did this since the CV joint on the driveshaft can fail, but after installing a new driveshaft (rebuilt part from NAPA), the front is making a horrible clicking/clunking noise.

I recently changed the front fluid with 80w90, and without the driveshaft the truck drives fine. I'm guessing the likely problem is the front diff, but just wanted to get the experts' opinions before changing it out. Any chance this could be caused by the transfer case and not the front diff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very likely that it's the t-case. More than likely it IS the t-case

-Drew

Ugh. Well, from what I can tell it looks like it's easier to replace a transfer case instead of a front diff. Is there an easy way to test a transfer case or diff? I figure if there's a good way to test one it will give me a pretty good answer on what the defective part is.

BTW, I recently changed the fluid in the transfer case... literally looked like motor oil. I thought someone screwed up and put oil in there... guess not.

So I'm leaning towards bad transfer case... any other opinions out there?

I happen to have an AWD case for sale, and a how to thread that shows how to remove the case. Check my sig for links. The 4x4 link is for the case swap-

EDIT: It sounds to me like your case is the culprit. Your front axle is live, meaning there are no hub disconnects, so your front end would make the same noise regardless if it was connected to the case or not.

Running without the front driveshaft can damage the case and definately wastes power. The AWD case is fairly easy to remove.

I helped a dude with his case when i was at home this summer. His made the same noise and all that crap. Its your case. A used one here is relatively cheap.

Is it a loud clunking sound?

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my 97 Mounty. I have what I would call more of a popping sound like something binding.
It does this at low speeds up to 25-30 mph then it will start making a rattling sound.
It is also more pronounced when making a sharp left or right turn.

It has 183,000 miles on it.

I origialy thought it was the left front axle shaft but I replaced it and it still makes the same sound. The thing is it comes & goes.

I replaced the original axleshat in May & the noise stoppes but after about two monts it came back. I took the shaft back & got a replacment under warranty.

Again the noise went away for 6 weeks & than came back so I got another replacement axle shaft but the noise did not go away this time.

On Sat I took it for a spin around the block as it has been parked for about a month. I went about two blocks & the noise stopped again. :confused:

I have been told by others here that it is a front hub bearing but I would not think the noise would come & go.

Would the front drive shaft cause this or could it be my transfer case as well?

It definately sounds like it is coming from the left front and not where th t-case is located.

I would like to get my Mounty fixed without just throwing money at what I think is wrong.

Back