help it wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help it wont start

tribble

Reaction score
City, State
wick caithness
Year, Model & Trim Level
after an nice drive to john o groats. we came back and parked it on the drive. ive just got in it to go out and all the lights on the dash come on when i turn the key and all the usual noises\chimes start but no engine start up. after a faultless year of driving im worried is she dead. even with the lights on the dash coming on could it be the battery? may have answered my own question here gonna try an avo and see what reading i get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the battery has 12.1 volts. female question i am afraid. is this enough. i have never replaced the battery since i got this wonderful machine. or have i got another problem?

12.1 is a little low. Should be 13+ with the engine off and 14.2 or so with it running. Might want to have the battery tested.

thankyou i ill get it tested\replaced tomorrow. it has to be the problem. cheers once again.

Just try standing at the rear of the car and lock and unlock it then try again. This may be the immobilisor.
But as has already been suggested the battery voltage is a little low
Quick way to test is to try a jump start.

Hmmm sounds like the alternator is not cooking well- runit and check the batt terminals- should read 14 and a bit with meter?! If not its NOT charging enough- thatsa your problem!

had an idea today i have a ldv minibus for my sins. checked the bus started and run it for a while to extra charge the battery. changed it over for the ex one and still got the same result. so it has got to be the immobiliser? i have stood in every position around he car locking and unlocking used both sets of keys. this is really puzzling me and in the meantime we cant go on the beach with no 4 x4 now there is another thing i do use the 4 x 4 quite abit and i do hear a relay clicking in the dash board sometimes when im driving so could this be an electrical fault? why has it just decided not to work i am one very frustrated housewife any ideas appreciated or is it a job for a man in a yellow van/local garage cos aa dont really come this far north they lie .

Try the immobaliser fuse in the fuse box on the drivers side of the Dash, its fuse number 25 i think, should be a 7.5 amp one

yep its a 7.5 and it is 25 sadly its not blown. this has got to be something simple. grrrr

when you turn the key (to crank the engine) do you hear the clunk of the starter solinoid, it is located in the engine bay on the passenger side (near the battery)?

no clunk but i can hear a relay to my left in the passenger side dash. if it is the solonoid is it like the old days get the hammer out and bash it or is it replace offending article cheers

Does the engine actually turn over ok?
If it's not turning over at all, then battery voltage, starter or starter relay etc.
If it does turn over then you need to look towards ECU or electrical injection sytem.

Also if the engine turns over,I know it sounds daft, but is the fuel gauge reading correctly?
It may be a worth while exercise to put a gallon of fuel in and then try.
Won't be the first time that a faulty gauge has cught people out.

Roger

yes got petrol definately. engine is just not turning over at all it is totally dead. battery from minibus is ok i think it probably will be look at the starter motor tomorrow. everything electrical is working just not switching the engine on. gonna hit it with a big hammer. my knowledge of engines are basic i run a bed and breakfast and we are very busy so i could do with out this problem. need an american ford mechanic to come and stay. there we are any americans coming my way free accomodation if you fix it pay if you dont hehe

I might be stating the obvious here, because I presume you've been taking the key out, but you have got the gear selector in park? Might be worth trying it in neutral as well.

ok ive just been out put it in neutral and the same lights all light up pre engine starting and then nothing i have a haynes so i will start on the list it gives and work through them tomorrow then i will have to involve a man, i have not got my own here hes away working. when i need him hes not around typical but i know you lot will come up with the answer.

Yeah run the gear lever thro all the gears etc then try in neutral. There is a neutral sense switch that will prob not let start if not reading neutral.
Otherwise i would just try hitting the little cylinder attached to the starter (this is the solenoid)

if your under the car with a hammer :) also take a multi-meter to check the voltage at the starter.

firstly check the main supply (thick cable) which is a direct feed to the battery, it should be the same as measuring the voltage across the battery. when you test the starter make sure you take the negative connection on the body of the starter.

Assuming there is no different in the voltages, then test the voltage on the solinoid (thinner wire on the starter), you will need to check the voltage when trying to start it.

If you can do this, post the results and we can help from there

Jim

i cant get under the motor cos the gap aint big enough cant see over the engine properly so i have admitted defeat. i have a nice man coming in the next few days to have a look. i will then post what was wrong and how he solved it. mot in six weeks crossed fingers. thankyou to everyone for trying to help me. update you all soon cheers.

dead

I am saying goodbye to my explorer it turned out to be a totally corroded starter motor. its mot is up at the end of the month and it is rotton underneath it is repairable i am told but it will cost more than its worth its a real shame i am so far away from you all because the engine is a really nice one and it would have done someone a good turn so its off to the scrap yard it goes. its been nice popping on here now and again. goodbye all. ps if youre ever in wick watch out for a blue smart car parked in my car park come and have a cup of tea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back