HELP! It's getting cold, I need more heat! Heater issues! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! It's getting cold, I need more heat! Heater issues!

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I need some help!

So this is my fault. I neglected my heating and cooling system for a few years. Kinda like, it ran fine so I never did much. Well one day last years I noticed I had almost NO heat in the winter. I was no longer able to defog my windows or de-ice them.

I looked at my coolant and it was dirty! Like almost dark brown. I took it into a shop to have it flushed which actually ripped me off. They simply pulled the bottom hose, drained what could be drained and refilled it. Still no heat to the guy pulled the heater core hoses and blew air into the heater core and a bunch of crap came out, I had heat.

Lasted for two days.

Took it to another shop and they told me the first shop had NOT flushed. I tried to get a refund but was out my $110.00 dollars. Not wanting to pay more money I decided to try and fix it myself.

I bought one of those flush kit and got that all connected and flushed it with my garden hose for like an hour. Water runs great and the pure clean water was flowing out, nothing dirty.

I also disconnected the heater core and made a make shift connecter and connected the garden hose RIGHT to the in side of the heater core and ran water through that for almost 20 minutes. The water goes right in one side and out the other just like a full hose stream, no resistance.

Filled it back up and had heat. Only lasted a shot time though.

I keep battling this. I keep having to flush it to get it working but the coolant is CLEAN! No dirt in it.

Is there something that restricts the flow of hot coolant into the heater core that could be blocked?

If I hookup a garden hose of running water to the heater core right now, it flows through without issue. When I first turn on the hose it will spit and sputter air like it's not no coolant in it but then water will flow out with no issues.

I'm at a loss.

When I replaced my intake manifold, and radiator hoses, I had a heck of a time getting the vehicle to fill up with water/coolant. Everything appeared to be full, but after driving down the road about 20 miles, it all of a sudden went 'hot'. After several stops and attempts to add more water, I finally got it to drink water, and it took a lot. That tells me I had a big old air bubble in the system.. Maybe that's the problem you're having.

Back