Help...just screwed up 1 lower balljoint installing it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help...just screwed up 1 lower balljoint installing it?

mainiac1

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Exporer Sport
Hey guys, started replacing the lower and upper balljoints on my 01 explorer sport 4wd. Balljoint install tool kit from autozone didnt fit the top of the lower a-arm very good...had to improvise a metal sleeve the right size since I was using the right size on the bottom of the new balljoint. Replaced these on my 01 silverado no problem, but this lower one was really tight. Got it 1/2 way in with alot of effort. I did check it a few times to make sure it was coming up into the hole straight and it was. Thought I got it seated using 1/2" braker bar....but what I did was cut the seal and bend the lower flange of the new Raybestus ball joint p/n: 505-1281B from Rockauto and it still wasn't seated!!! I know the uppers you have to replace the whole a-arm, but what did i do wrong on this lower? old one had a c-clip like you could replace it. If the lower a-arm is not serviceable (have to replace it rather than replacing the balljoint, how can I tell? Is there a specialty tool that I need to replace these lowers? Also just noticed the upper passenger side a-arm I ordered is the non-adjustable type, yet mine has the adjustable upper a-arm....I guessing I need to send this one back and buy an adjustable upper...? Apreciate your help.
Jamie:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with the auto zone tool when I did my ball joint. It was a while ago now though and I don't remember what we did to get it to work but it was a pain.

Wish mine had gone that smooth!

The lower is serviceable but I had a shop do those while they were mounting new tires anyway so I can't help you there. The upper passenger can use either the original style two piece or the one piece you have. The two piece just allows for more adjustment for alignment.

The lower is serviceable but using tools that won't fit won't help. I used a balljoint tool kit from harbor freight and it worked great, I also used an electric impact gun from harbor freight as well which made it alot easier. If you ripped the boot then call rockauto, they should send out a new one, I ripped the UCA boot and they sent out a new UCA no questions asked. What parts did you use? Some are cast bigger than others for some reason. You can use either the one piece or two piece passenger side UCA as well just get a camber adjustment kit.

When I compared the old one I removed to the new one, the new one was slightly taller and there would have been probly an 1/8" gap on the top side between the snap ring and the top of the lower a-arm...if I had managed to get it seated.Also was .010" oversize when IO measured them both. maybe the Raybestus part was for an after market a-arm? But the discription on Rock Auto didn't say that. Why does the passengers side upper have adjustyments built in, but not on the drivers side? You gotta watch what you buy there now. I've had sveral parts in the past couple months that came in defective (Ball joints for a friends truck that had cut seal) or just wouldn't fit (Fan belt). They are really good on their return policy though. Their prices are not as good as they used to be...not as much of a difference between Autozone parts and Rock Auto.

The lower is serviceable but using tools that won't fit won't help. I used a balljoint tool kit from harbor freight and it worked great, I also used an electric impact gun from harbor freight as well which made it alot easier. If you ripped the boot then call rockauto, they should send out a new one, I ripped the UCA boot and they sent out a new UCA no questions asked. What parts did you use? Some are cast bigger than others for some reason. You can use either the one piece or two piece passenger side UCA as well just get a camber adjustment kit.

Where can I get the camber adjustment kit, or will the alignment shop have that?

Well there are the problem solver ball joints that are not interchangeable as they are slightly bigger than the factor. I just replaced the whole control arms with the ball joints when I did mine figured the bushings on a 12 year old vehicle might be sad too. I only did this because ordering ball joints was getting way too confusing.

I've read they are slightly oversized because the hole tends to increase in size over the years as they get wallowed out.

Most of us get the adjuster sets at Napa, you'll need one for each side. These are needed if you get the one piece UCA for the passenger side.

Thanks, got mine at Carquest. Got the pass side put together and did the drivers side yesterday afternoon. Went alot better w the Duralast ball joints. Got it aligned this am and wasn't too far off.

Back