Help, Keep Breaking Torx Bits on Front Driveshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help, Keep Breaking Torx Bits on Front Driveshaft

zmaster725

Reaction score
City, State
Frankton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
I have been trying to get the front driveshaft off of my 97 sport. It has what I think to be the T27 Torx bolts on it and I cannot get them broke loose to save my life. There isnt enough clearance for a socket to slip over due to the sleeve of the u-joint housing. I tried an open end wrench and it starts to round off and I do not want to tear it up any more. Please help, any info would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The insert-type bits are not very durable. There is locktite on those bolts. Heating with a small propane torch will melt the locktite out, but have to be careful about cooking the grease in the u-joint or accidentially melting and wiring nearby.

Socket-type bit can take a lot more torque. However since its locktite, you are better off getting vibration as opposed to brute force. If you have an impact they will turn right out. Otherwise tapping the handle of your socket wrench with a hammer can jar the bolts free.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-14-and-38-drive-star-bit-set-67914.html

Those should be T30 not T27. Make sure you have the right size bit and that it is seated fully into the bolts. As mentioned, if you have an impact driver that would be a good thing to try -- or use the hammer. Keep inward pressure on the bit so that it doesn't slip out (that's often when they break).

I had a little trouble with mine. It's a T30 bit. Put the bit in and tap it inward with a hammer to seat it well and to knock out the rust. Add a little heat and they will break loose. Heat the side of the housing next to the bolt, not the bolt head.

T30 was right. I had the socket type and tried with my impact only to break the torx in the bolt. I gave up and got the sawzall out and just spent an extra $13 on a new knuckle and all.

It was anyway time to replace that rusty POS.

Back