Help keyless entry and fob keyless remote | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help keyless entry and fob keyless remote

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY - Newfoundland,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
So my question is about my remote starter. I have a 2001 ford explorer sport that i wrecked and bought a 2003 ford explorer sport, i am already in love with her.
The problem tho is the key only works on the ignition and cant turn the lock on any of the doors. So i cant lock it or im screwed without being able to open it.

I googled to reprogram a remote for the car but was not able to program it with the new vehicle.
When i turn the ignition switch 8 times the locks cycle on and off and am ready to program but when i press a button nothing happens.

I am unsure what the problem is.

My old vehicle that the remote was originally for is in the driveway and the remote still is able to lock and unlock those doors with no problem.

Im thinking maybe i need to unplug the battery of the old explorer so the remote is not confused wich car it is to operate or program?

I am using a viper remote starter and maybe there is a way to reboot it?

I would appreciate some help as to why or how to fix the problem because leaving the car open all the time is not a nice feeling.

I cant leave anything valuable in the car at all and am even worried of vandals or just someone messing up the interior.

Hope you guys can help and thank you.

I also tryed to do the keyless entry and been looking for the code everywhere from under the drivers side near obd port to passenger side pannel to back trunck where tire rod and lift is.
I did not check the seatbelt part because i might of found it but want to confirm or get a better idea where it is since it could be in soo many different places.

Here are some pictures of my vehicle and what i have found.

23ie3qf.jpg

309t4cn.jpg

20zb387.jpg

2rcs51y.jpg

This is only a 2 door- 2003 ford explorer sport xlt

I see a lot of videos and reads for the 4 door models.

I tryed the 4 digit code on the last picture and it did not work.
If i press the last 2 digits on the door it does lock.
But if i or someone locks my door i wont be able to get back in.
Im also worried to leave my vehicle registration and insurance in the glovebox with the door being open all the time.

Please help.

This might help with the keyless entry code location. I have an '05 ST and it worked for me. I didn't drop the glove box or remove the airbag either, just popped off the dash piece, lifted my passenger windshield wiper, and spotted it with a flashlight.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Keyless_Remote_Code_Locating_Gen_1.pdf

Thanks but that looks like more work then its worth. I dont wana break anything.
I did open my glovebox and try to find it but was not.

If there is a more easy way please let me know.
I ended up taking out the lock from the door and replacing it with my other cars lock so now i can lock the doors and still get into the car.

I am unable to get the fob remote to work to auto unlock and start and would like to get some help with that.

Back