Help leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help leak

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the rear main seal they are notorious for leaking on the 5.0's mine is doing the same, was diagnosed years ago by a shop, im running a thick viscosity oil and it seems to have stopped the leak

His mechanic found the inside of the bellhousing clean. If the main is leaking, shouldn't it go in there?
Its the rear main seal they are notorious for leaking on the 5.0's mine is doing the same, was diagnosed years ago by a shop, im running a thick viscosity oil and it seems to have stopped the leak

Hello !
It's a leak of the crankshaft oil seal i think...

His mechanic found the inside of the bellhousing clean. If the main is leaking, shouldn't it go in there?

I wouldn't think it would like i said every 5.0 I've seen underneath has the exact same leak in the spot and its the determination its the rear main seal, ford released a updated kit with a sleeve to address this issue. Remember that seal is blocked by the flex plate and torque converter so it more than like will run down and leak and not collect in the bellhousing

Back