Help locating hissing air sound and identifying vacuum hose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help locating hissing air sound and identifying vacuum hose

JAWIT

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer V6, 4.0L
Hi all.

Lately I have been hearing some hissing sound near the throttle body/intake area, but can;t seem to pinpoint due to the mess of hoses in this area. It is somewhere in the area located within the outer red circle in the attached picture, however, I am curious about the hose identified in the smaller red circle. What is this hose for? When I have run my fingers along it, it leaves a black powdery residue, so I am guessing it needs replacement. It goes down behind the intake, but I don't want to mess with it too much until I know it is something I can easily replace myself.

Any ideas on the hissing as well as identifying the vacuum hose in question?
Ford 1.PNG

One way to pinpoint the leak is to get a piece of hose, any kind, garden hose, air hose whatever and use it as a stethescope and hunt around. Hold one end up to your ear and fish the other around the area you suspect the hissing coming from. Place it next to vacuum hose connections and it will amplify any air leaks. Just be careful of moving parts (fan blade, alternator belt, etc.). Keep the hose length short as possible so you don't accidently get it into moving parts. We used to use this trick when looking for pneumatic leaks on equipment. Works great.

Hi all.

Lately I have been hearing some hissing sound near the throttle body/intake area, but can;t seem to pinpoint due to the mess of hoses in this area. It is somewhere in the area located within the outer red circle in the attached picture, however, I am curious about the hose identified in the smaller red circle. What is this hose for? When I have run my fingers along it, it leaves a black powdery residue, so I am guessing it needs replacement. It goes down behind the intake, but I don't want to mess with it too much until I know it is something I can easily replace myself.

Any ideas on the hissing as well as identifying the vacuum hose in question?View attachment 315716
I'm looking
For thr same answer on what the little vaccum hose connection is called thenpart so I can replace it since it's got a seem and I kinda broke it yesterday installing me emissions valve so if you know please enlighten me.

Back