Help - Low Idle and Stalling

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
Hey, in my 95 explorer sometimes when u start it (engine can be warm or cold) it starts and the battery gauge draops way down to about 1/4 and it only idles at 400-500 RPM. if u try to go anywhere it will stall unless u put in neutral and rev it when u go to stop. if, when u strat it and it idles low like this and u rev it up to about 2000 RPM and keep it there for about 5 mins then its fine. have just replaces battery and alternator. any ideas of what it would be? olny happens now and then. dont matter if its warm out or if its cold out. does it when the engine is warm and cold. just now and then. any fast help is appreciated, Thanks, Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump.... any ideas? alos, weather at idle or when stopped. if u step on gas real easy its ok but if u step on it even kinda fast the rpm gauge drops about 100-200 rpm then shoots back up and u go. if u hit the gas real quick it does that and sometimes it will stall when it happens. any help anyone?

I have a similar problem. I think my IAC valve may be the problem. Idle returns to normal if I tap the IAC with a screwdriver. I cleaned it, but haven't had enough time to see if cleaning it fixed the problem.

I have the same issue. Seems more in the summer if Ive run the AC. Its fine untill I stop the engin. When i cranck it back up it does not idle at all. It just dies. I have to ride with one foot on the gas and one on the breaks at low speeds. It goes away after 15 minutes or so.

read my post "Nothin But Issues" in this same forum.....seems like we are having the same problem......everything you describe is happening to mine except the voltage meter......my doesn't fluxuate...If you figure out what it is send me an e-mail. pmr_jr82@hotmail.com

Back