Help: LSD spider gear tension stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: LSD spider gear tension stuck

roverz

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
In the process of taking out the spider gears from the LSD carrier on a 2000 explorer and i can't seem to get the gear tension "S" shape piece out from between the gears. I have tried pushing it thru to the pinion gear side and pulling it out the rear housing side and can only move it about 1" inch either way afraid that i tackled this the wrong way?

Help please so i can get my Powertrax unit installed before this weekend's trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes pulled cross pin, took out C clips and pulled both axles, but the S spring will not come out for me with vise grips or by using a long screw driver.

What is the best way to compress it as I can only seem to grab the center and one end of the "S" instead of getting hold of the whole thing?

Can i just bang it thru to the rear all the way since with the Powertrax i wont be putting the Spring or the Spider gears back in the carrier?

Do you just grab the passenger side and the middle of the "s" spring and compress there then pull the spring towards the rear of the truck?

Ok, on to the next problem, got some longer needle nose vis grips this morning and got the S clip almost all the way out at least 1/2 of the way but it appears now to be deadlocked with the ring gear 4.10 gears..... Is it worth wrangling with the S clip or should i try to hacksaw some of it out? Or just pull the carrier and put it up on the bench to do the work?

If i pull the carrier do i have to reset backlash and stuff ?

Yeah I wish it wasn't also, I called Richmond Gear and they didnt think that it should have been such a struggle either but i don't see anything that i could have done wrong.

Ok figured Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions on getting this S tension out of here without removing the Ring gear or carrier.

picture1865.jpg

picture1865.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/picture1865.jpg/

OR, you could try a hose clamp, tighten it down to squeeze the spring

Techieman, Thanks it worked the way you said with two vise grips

Back