Help me choose tires for 18" wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me choose tires for 18" wheels

Hi all:

I'm currently running (I assume stock) 255/70-16 tires on my '01 Sport. I just won an auction for some 18x9" '03 Cobra replicas (finally!), and my tire size calculator says I need either 275/55-18 or 255/60-18 tires for them. However, the selection is limited in either of these sizes.

I've searched, and most people run 255/55-18, but I'm worried that these would be too narrow for a 9" wheel. I know my Mustang buddies usually run a 275 section width on a 9" wheel, and 255's look too narrow. Also, they're 3% smaller than stock, which isn't much. But I'd like for them to be as close to stock as possible. The good news is that Tire Rack has about 30 different tires in that size (compared to just 1 in 275/55-18 and 3 in 255/60-18)

Are either of my concerns warrented? Was the 255/55-18 sized ever used by Ford on any special Explorers? Saleen's? If so, how did they correct the speedometer? Is there another size I should consider? Any particular brand recommendations? I like Michelin's, but I'll consider others. This is for street use, with maybe 5% mild off-road or snow.

Thanks in advance,
John.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm also interested in this question as it pertains close to my tire size choice on 17x9's. My calculator is telling me to go 275/55/17 from stock 235/75/15 and the % of difference is only by 0.11% can't get much closer than that...but 275's are so wide...I don't want to rub.

Here is the link for anyone who doesn't have it.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

im running 255/55 18's on my 18x9's. There is alot of pics in my gallery of them

The 255's will be less likely to rub, but that really comes down to wheel offset. Try to keep the weight down, good luck.
Don

im running 255's and I didnt note a speed change of very extreme

Hi all:

Well, I found out that Saleen Explorers used the 255/55-18 size, so I guess if they're good enough for Steve, they're good enough for me. What brands do you recommend?

Regards,
John.

Back