Help me Diagonse this Please.

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
I drive the Ex. and often I get this "Click" then a light "grrrrrr" sound. I can't place it! Also sometimes when I get the "Click, grrrr" the truck also lurches forward a bit.

What could this be?

To add to this yesterday it was about 20 degrees and I started the Ex. let her warm up then I begin to drive and I hear a belt slipping sound. Not loud like one would expect from a steering pump bur a vague sound. I am wondering if a clutch/bearing is going out on one of the pully wheels.

What occassionally engauges that would cause this noise. Fan? Or could it be the IAC?

I am stumped. Please help if you can.

by any chance did you have the defrost on. sounds like your AC compressor kicking on ..click, roar(kinda)..the lurching would be your engine upping the rpms to compensate for the ac 'pull'. Just a thought. and the sound you hear could be your compressor about to give up the ghost! Mine did 3 yrs ago, short belted it unpluged the compressor, still like that.

No, it happens regardless of what the Air controls are set at. They can be off.

I am not sure on this but I think that the only pullies that have a "Clutch" are the fan and the A/C (like you said).

I have heard the A/C "CLICK" on and it is not the same. It is more of the "grrrrrrr" sound after the "Click" that I am worried about. That and the new "belt Squeal" I heard for the first time yesterday.

So I am now leaning towards the fan clutch. haha I think discussing it helps me locate the problem through process of elimination....

check your alternator. If it is goin, it may make noises, and also cause a squeel as it is trying to charge so hard. Good luck

Back