Help me do a cheap and easy fix on my leaky windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me do a cheap and easy fix on my leaky windshield

I've searched and read various threads, here and elsewhere, and I still have a question or two.
My Ranger's windshield leaks at the top edge close to center. I'm getting a small amount of water trickling down the inside of the windshield when it rains.
How is the black rubber molding around the windshield attached? Is it a flat strip that is/was glued in place where glass meets body, or does it slip in like a vehicle door molding? Is it intregral to the seal, or just cosmetic?
I plan to do a quick fix with some black silicone or similar. I'm not going to remove the windshield, or have it replaced. But it rains here a lot, and I don't want to go pulling off the molding without some knowledge, and end up with a bigger leak and no way to fix it!
I could just smear silicone over the top edge, but I would prefer it not look too ghetto. :D
Advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are glued to the windshield. also, if you try to lift it to put something under it, it may distort. they only thing i can suggest is masking off the inside of the windshield, pull the headliner down and run a bead of urethane across the top. then with a rubber glove (or two cause that stuff is impossible sometimes to get off your skin) on your finger, smooth it out. that may work, but you must go from end to end.

Hmm, is the molding removable without disturbing the windshield? Or does the windshield have to come out too? Maybe a auto glass shop would do a new molding...?

no, the molding isn't removable. i don't think a glass shop could do it. they might, but i doubt it. there is about a 1/8 (if that) of a inch between the glass and the windshield when you cut the molding out. there also is metal inbeded into the molding to help keep its shape to the windshield as well.

There is a flowable silicone that is marketed as a windshield sealer. I have used it on other veh.s and it works. May have to do 2 applications a few days apart.

..While you are at it you might shop around..:dunno:

..When I replaced the Ranger's windsheild I had the option of replacing only the seal, only the windshield w/ existing seal, or windshield w/ seal..

..The southwest dry heat cooks these seals and I will soon be looking for replacement seals for both trucks..:(

..As for quick and cheap for a while..Clear silicone...I generally have some left over and if you want to come by, I'll give it to you for absolutely free..:D

Bill, I'll look around for that. If it's not available here, it'll just be regular silicone...
Ted, I called a local shop for a new windshield, it's $360!! :eek: This ain't SoCal! :rolleyes:

Back