Help me ID this leak - pic included | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me ID this leak - pic included

Wheel jack

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer xlt
back again with another question on my recent purchase.

While inspecting my blown upper ball joint in the foreground, i uncovered this layer of sludge on the frame.

You can see i cleaned off a patch of it down to the white paint. The truck has 98k on it and it looks like whatever this is has been at it for awhile. It's also coated the inside of the drs side wheel...

leak.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only thing over that location is the coolant tank (and washer fluid tank) have you been having to add antifreeze? whatever it is, at least it's kept your frame from rusting...

back again with another question on my recent purchase.

While inspecting my blown upper ball joint in the foreground, i uncovered this layer of sludge on the frame.

You can see i cleaned off a patch of it down to the white paint. The truck has 98k on it and it looks like whatever this is has been at it for awhile. It's also coated the inside of the drs side wheel...

leak.jpg
you said driver side? That would be either power steering or air conditioner. How much grime is on the inner fender? And where is it in the engine compartment. Or maybe it has already been fixed, and the grease is old.

One other thing to look at is the front diff breather hose. It should be in the engine compartment on the frame near that area. It will be a hose with a white cap on it, if it gets cloged up it will put oil out in that area mostly on the inside but some might come to the outside.

thanks for the tips. i did see that breather cap there, it was also all slimy. I didn't know what it was. So then how do you fix that up? This is my first truck, differentials are new territory to me. I'll investigate further this weekend and report back.

Take it off and clean it with some brake cleaner and compressed air.

Back