Help me identify some parts

genepool

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL
Hi folks,
Yesterday I had the back end of my 95 explorer jacked up looking for the source of a clumping noise I get when making hard right turns. While poking around I found some parts that I do not recognize. Please help me identify them for my own knowledge.

First:

There is a black box mounted on a piece of steel to the undercarriage just above the spare tire. The box has two black hoses going in and a large round dial thing. I noticed the screws holding it up were rusted and when I took the spare tire down the whole thing just about fell out. My hunch is it has something to do with automatic ride control (which i don't have). The two hoses the run into it are both pinched and broken. Is this something i can safely ignore?

Second:

There is a little nipple coming out of the top of the rear axle on the drivers side. I found a piece of broken hose that goes to nothing that appears to have once had one end attached to the nipple. Is this important, I looks like some kind of valve to let air in or out.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help you with the first thing. But the second thing you are talking about is just a vent for the differential. You may be fine without the hose but if it were me I would replace the vent hose. It's just a normal piece of hose that goes onto the nipple and then gets clipped higher up near the spare tire. It helps keep water out of the differential when you go through puddles.

The first thing is your charcoal canister. The hoses should connect to your fuel tank.

Cool

Thanks for the quick replies. I fixed the hose to the differential. Now, how important is the charcoal cannister? Both hoses connecting it to the fuel tank are bent and mangled so I can't imagine fuel vapor is passing through. Should I take the time to fix this?

Hmmm....well....since you live in one of the "greenest" states in the union (and I don't mean green because of the color of the foliage...) You get my drift...

Also, do they pressurize and check your fuel vapor system on emissions checks? That needs to be sealed up to pass that.

In CA you would be fixing that before the next license renewal. If the hoses had a hole or were completely crimped you would also have a check engine light.

I don't believe he will get the check engine light in this case. It's EEC-IV (OBD-I). That's why they do a manual pressure check of the evap system instead of relying on the diagnostics of OBD-II.

Ahh yes, you are correct. Didn't notice the model year.

So

Will not fixing the canister lines affect gas mileage or is it just for preventing pollution. I think the lines are just badly kinked but not necessarily leaking.

It will not affect mileage. The evap canister simply stores fumes from the tank when it's sitting and then they are siphoned into the engine when it's running.

Back